For 4, thinking of going naked with only squaretrade

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thornguy, Jun 13, 2010.

?

Who's out there

1. 3G/GS Naked and lovin' it!

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Plan to go naked

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Bumper/case for me

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  4. I tried it and it didn't go well

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. thornguy macrumors regular

Started using my 3G naked a week or so ago and it's like a new phone.
    So for my new 4 Instead of spending $30-60 on a case probably x2 over 2+ years. Squaretrade is $99 2 years and $50 deductible

I know this isn't a revelation, but looking for input

Also anyone know details on squaretrade coupon codes, where to find, how often they appear, etc

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I've dropped my 3G like 3-4 times and it only had an invisible shield (type) protector. It's fine, albeit the drops were only 2-3 feet. (first and only day I had it in my shirt chest pocket :D)I plan on only screen protectors for the front and back.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Are you a little person? lol

4. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Coudnt remember but was it glass on the back also on the new iphone4, my 3gs doesnt have that right?

Anyway, i have allways gone naked, with orginal iphone and iphone 3gs, but i think im going bumper now. just to protect the sides. I hate dressing a beautiful craftmanship in a bulky case. But the bumper looked kinda slim

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

??? No, but i was bowling lol so i bent over a lot, then i dropped it onto a hard bathroom floor when I was tying my shoe...and what was your logic for coming to that conclusion??

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

That's what I thought, but the edges are where you hold it, and the bumper looks like it'll add quite a few mm's overall (maybe even like a cm?).

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If you go Naked, I highly suggest Wrapsol. (www.wrapsol.com).

Also... pay close attention, the SquareTrade warranty does not reimburse you for a full unsubsidized iPhone. One claim requires you to sign a 2 year contract again. ;)

What I ahve been suggesting... go though your own insurance company. American Family Insurance is going to cover my $700 32gb iPhone for $25 a year (just over $2 a month) with the same $50 deductible.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

If it fell only 3 feet when it was at your chest. Actually the bending over and phone falling out situation has happened to me as well. I was just kidding.

9. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Sorry if you've posted this before...but by chance is your insurance also reimbursing you for accidents and water damage?

Just curious, before I owned a house I was able to add "computer coverage" to my renters insurance. USAA reimbursed me $1200 for the laptop I had at the time for me dropping a bottle of coke in the keyboard. They didn't require anything from me but $50 and my word.

I'm hoping to do the same for my MBP and iPhone with homeowner's insurance.

10. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I've gone naked from day 1 of the original iPhone and then to a 3G. I just can't justify putting a case over such a beautiful design. I definitely have insurance on it through a private company, but have never had to file a claim.

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Oh, lol. Yeah I was dressin up for a formal party, and since I never wear dress shirts, i wasn't used to it :)

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Yes, they are covering any damage.

13. Hal Coldvice macrumors newbie

Most insurance companies apply claims surcharges to those that file claims. Claiming your iphone on your homeowners insurance might not be a wise idea. I'd recommend going with another avenue as to not affect your Homeowners premiums.

14. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I use a skin on the front and back of my 3gs and that is all. I like that they improve the grip of the phone, provide scratch protection and eliminates fingerprints all while making the phone look naked.

15. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

As of now, I'll be going with no case but a Wrapsol original.

Going to see how the bumpers look in person before I make that purchase.

But definitely will get getting the squaretrade insurance plan for $99

16. kirwansj macrumors newbie

After reading your post, I called my insurance agent and they will cover mine for $21 a year with a 50 deduct. Full Coverage. Only thing is that when/if I make a claim, I will only get the Actual Cash Value for the phone at that time less the $50.

I am not sure what they mean by Actual Cash Value, but I will do some more digging to find out.

17. kirwansj macrumors newbie

Actual Cash Value to my insurance company means they would give me enough money to buy a new one without a contract so that would be $599 for the 32GB?

So that means for $21 a year I can have my new iPhone 4 covered for anything that can happen to it! No Brainer....

18. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Exactly. It's still the cheapest option, even if your premiums go up. Why? Because SquareTrade will cover your phone for $100 up front, $50 deductible, but will not cover the entire price of the phone. Your insurance company is not going to charge you the difference in price. Let me explain.

This example assumes you will have your phone for two years and want coverage for two years, make one claim, have a 32gb iPhone, and don't renew your contract when replacing your phone.

Via SquareTrade, at the bottom of the page.

SquareTrade
    • $100 for 2 Year Plan
    • $50 Deductible
    • $100 extra to replace - (Since SquareTrade covers up to $599, you have to pay another $100 for a 32gb phone if it can't be fixed.)

$250 total for one claim.

Your Insurance (assuming the worst)
    • Average $20-$30 a year.
    • $50 deductible

$110 total for one claim.

Difference: $130.

Phone completely replaced. Will your premiums go above the difference of $130 for one claim?

And will your only make one claim? Obviously if you make two claims, your insurance company would be much cheaper if your premiums don't go up very much.

Of course, this situation may not be for everyone. You'll have to evaluate the situation for yourself. Call your insurance company and find out how much your premiums would go up. Investigate and decide for yourself.

In my case, my own insurance is best.