For a big temp difference....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SCMedic, Feb 27, 2008.

1. SCMedic macrumors regular

Use Onyx or terminal to disable the dashboard widgets....

It dropped my normal usage temp almost 8C.....

I had asked this question in a previous thread that 200 people couldn't reply to! :)

Also seems to have made folder opening a bit snappier...

2. meagain macrumors 68030

OK - so I've no clue how widgets are dealt with, but are you saying it would help temperature by running as few widgets as possible also? I.e.; would the laptop run cooler with 3 widgets vs. 10? Or do they have to be entirely nuked?

3. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

Well, 3 is better than 10, because they're using less resources, but killing them with Onyx has shown the biggest increase.

4. dyerucf macrumors regular

dyerucf

Battery

Any noticeable difference of battery life?

5. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

I'll let you know...I just did it this morning....I can say it is noticably snappier at some tasks...

6. pgharavi macrumors regular

pgharavi

I'd be willing to try this but how can you know your temp/fan usage w/out iStat, which is a dashboard widget?

7. Kinetic macrumors member

If I'm not mistaken, any widget you have opened in dashboard actually runs (or at least takes up memory) even if it's not displayed. It's like its running in the background. I could see a couple of them taking up memory in Activity monitor. I removed them from dashboard and that freed up my memory. I haven't had any problems with temps.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

SCMedic, what widgets do you usually keep on your dashboard, and did you compare the effect of closing all widgets to disabling them completely?

9. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

When they are disabled, can you still use your widgets, albeit slower?

10. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Geez, got to disable widgets so the air doesn't overheat? Thats pretty freakin bad. I will never understand why that air doesn't have a damn penryn in it. Makes no sense to shrink down an old chip when new ones are out. If any laptop needed penryn its the air.

11. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

First off, I said nothing about overheating..I just know everyone is temp concious here, and that made a difference.

I use the iStat preference pane, not widget... I don't use widgets for the most part...

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I find sitting in a refrigerator gives me a much bigger temp difference ;)

Disabling dashboard didn't make much difference to my temperature at all.

13. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Hahaha. I prefer to uninstall Leopard and use unix commands.