For a IDE would i use OSA Script View or Text view.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Cabbit, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Ok just like the title asks for a IDE would i use OSA Script View or Text view for my code editor?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Neither of those are an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Why not XCode?

3. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I am going to use Xcode to build my own IDE, what i want to know is which of these components are best for displaying scripting languages.

4. hhas macrumors regular

OSAScriptView is specifically for writing AppleScript editors [1].

I would suggest studying some existing open source Cocoa-based editors (e.g. Smultron) to see how they do it.

[1] Technically OSAScriptView can be used to edit scripts written in any OSA language, but AppleScript is the only OSA-enabled language of any note so QED.

5. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Thanks for the info it had thrown me of i am used to just programming without all of this visual stuff. But i need and want to push myself to build my own app and this is one thing i have always wanted to try my own ideas and integrate it into my own little dummy project.

I am having a nose though the Smultron source code, the app its self has a lot of the basic features i am wanting. Its a good starting point for a reference to what i am wanting to do.