For a new MBP, OEM SSD vs Aftermarket

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonewestcoast, Feb 8, 2010.

1. gonewestcoast macrumors member

I'm planning to get a 17" MBP whenever they update. I've been toying with the idea of getting an SSD as well to reduce IO contention with some applications.

Would I be better served getting the Apple SSD option for whatever ludicrous amount of money they want, or would it make more sense to get one from NewEgg and install it myself? I'm curious about this not so much from a technical standpoint (I'm comfortable doing my own hardware swap), but rather from a "what kind of grief am I likely to get about voiding AppleCare if I have to have the new machine serviced down the road?

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Install it yourself. Cheaper, more options. When servicing your MBP, just put back in the original hard drive.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Agreed.

4. gonewestcoast thread starter macrumors member

Works for me. What's the current hotness in terms of SSDs?

5. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

don't you have to mico manage any firmware updates as some break after market drives?

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Intel drives seem to be the cream of the crop.

7. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

If you have to ask, then perhaps you should rethink upgrading. :rolleyes:

8. gonewestcoast thread starter macrumors member

If I have to ask which model of SSD is the best price/perf since the last time I researched this (8 months ago or so), I should rethink getting one?

9. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Good thing you were here! If it weren't for your quick action, someone might have given him a decent answer and he would have gone out and bought it! Thanks to you, he can go cower in his ignorance instead, refraining from the purchase because he just isn't informed enough.

10. gonewestcoast thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, heck with SSD! I'm going to hire a team of day laborers to memorize numbers and call them out really really fast instead.

11. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I dunno dude, have you researched about day laborers enough? If you don't know whether you should pick them up at Home Depot or Lowes, perhaps you should rethink upgrading.

12. (Kahn) macrumors newbie

Where do I sent resume? I'm programmer from India write very good code I charge $7 hour, I memorize many numbers. [/sarcasm]

13. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

Thank you Captain Crunch. If you're going to buy a top end component that you obviously know little about, I generally consider it good practice to do some research along the way. But by all means, just post on a forum, find out what some guy (maybe?) named Capt Crunch thinks, and go ahead and drop a couple hundred on a new SSD. Then in a couple days, when you're not satisfied and/or can't get it to work, then you can start another thread blaming the Crunchmeister. Good idea, I stand corrected on my original advice.

14. gonewestcoast thread starter macrumors member

*sighs* Here we go again.

I'm seeing IO contention on a number of commonly performed operations, specifically operations that are heavy on random writes. I know that SSDs alleviate this problem handily. What I DON'T know is whether or not Intel's x25-m's are still the way to go, or if Samsung, Hitachi, or Crazy Amal's SSD Store and Taxidermy have surpassed them. There's a LOT of material out there, and I was hoping someone could shave off some of the lengthy research process with a recommendation. Caveat Emptor, obviously; I do intend to fact check any advice given here.

Terribly sorry if this offends you, but I must confess I don't care.

15. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

See, silly me, I'd actually do the research first, and then ask any specific questions. If google is too much trouble, then just KGB. They had a commercial on the SB last night!

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=22

edit: if clicking a link is too much work, then yes, currently of all the SSD's out there, Intel is best for what you're looking for.

16. DJTHEFUNNY macrumors member

I ThinkIt's Definately Worth It To Go With The OEM SSD It Seems ToBe Cheaper And Apple Does Inspect Your Hardware Before Service. I Had To Send My 15'' MPB In For Service And They Ended Up Calling me And Telling Me There Was A Problem With My Video Card As Well As My Lid. But IDK An After Market Might Suit You Just Fine. But If You Looking For Speed This Is The Route To Go

17. gazzamac macrumors member

Very funny :)

After a hard day at work, reading posts like this is a great way to unwind.

18. PhxTriode macrumors newbie

I am currently running an OCZ Vertex 128GB SSD. After the first unit died after 3 months , this new unit has been running strong for 9+ months. The OEM option is to expensive in my opinion and the Vertex out performs.

19. vant macrumors 65816

X25-M is still the class leader, the 160GB variation is a tad bit faster than the 80gb.

20. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you need to put in the old HDD when servicing it? I thought that the new Unibody MBP's were 'user upgradable' meaning that you don't have to worry about voiding warranty when replacing the HDD

21. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

can someone explain to me how it is cheaper?

Apple Store: MBP 15" mid= 2k + $300 128 GB SSD - $2300.

128 GB SSDs are about $400-$500. So how is it cheaper? Not to mention the hassle with apple firmware breaking your drive.

22. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

Well, if you bought a 160GB Intel X-25, you'd pay ~$450. For that you get a bigger, faster drive, and you get to keep the 320GB drive as well to sell or whatever. It's not "cheaper" per se, but it's pretty much a no brainer as long as Apple keeps using the samsung craptastic SSD option.

And what do you mean apple firmware breaking your drive???

23. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

What is the difference between stock ssd and x-25 in terms of speed? And is there really a resell market for 5400 HDDs? I mean it can't be worth more than $50 bucks.

I don't even own a mac yet, so take this lightly, but I have read Apple firmwares breaking after market SSDs. People have been holding off on the firmware update. Sorry I can't find a link ATM.

24. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

25. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Saa... I use a spinning disk in my macbook pro.... And sadly an intel G2 SSD in my dell mini10v with mac os lol.... Seems to have no problem, but I wish OSX would support trim.

Your answer lies here. It's not exact, but it should give you an idea.
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=19