For all teachers -

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toblerboy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. toblerboy macrumors member

I have an iphone.
    The problem is, so do 2/3 of all my students. They seem to have their phones on them all the time.
    it can be a little battle to get them to turn them off.
    However, some people actively get the kids to use their iphones in class - how on earth could you incorporate technology on Iphones with learning?

2. kevinof macrumors 6502a

In a word DONT! Do what my kids school does - if you are found with your phone on in school it is taken off you for a week.

If kids want to get onto the internet in school then they use the school supplied kits with the school supplied filtering software. Kids having their phones on in a class will just distract them (facebook etc).

My two cents.

3. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Checking on that for you....

I found this for you:
    http://www.apple.com/education/ipodtouch-iphone/

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

5. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

depends what age range you are teaching.

you could always get the kids to research stuff and hook their phones up to the smartboard to show off what they have found.

there is loads of stuff you can incorporate into lessons via the education apps, you just have to know what you want them to do ;).

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I agree the ciriculum is likely boring but could you at least pretend you are learning something and not use your phone during class?

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

My wife has this battle with her COLLEGE students that she teaches. It's not so much that they have and use them, it's more that they have and use them during class then get lost and need HER to stay after and "catch them up". And it's not just phones. It's browsing facebook and other social media during class.

After hearing her talk, I'm with the person above. Don't try to incorporate it. Get more strict on it. I had a cell phone in High school and it stayed in my car all day. I'm probably smarter thanthe majority of students coming out of High School today and I never had my phone in class with me. As of now, phones in classes are more of a distraction than anything.

8. richmlow macrumors regular

Have them put away their electronic toys while class is in session. Be firm and consistent with this policy.

richmlow

9. cynics macrumors G3

I wouldn't even try unless 100% of the kids had iPhones or compatible smart phone.

Some children aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford a smartphone. They don't need that sort of pressure at that age. This isn't like a college class they opted for is it?

10. swiftbmx macrumors regular

This would be the biggest factor for me as a kid. I remember a lot of kids not be able to afford that $100 scientific calculator which was enough pressure on families, a $200-600 smartphone with monthly data? Seems too much. I'd hate to be the kid feeling poor with a flip phone or nothing at all.

11. callumacrae macrumors newbie

At my school it really depends on the teacher - some of us like to bring up the resources shown on the screen on our phones. It's handy when we're doing stuff like looking at mark schemes.

12. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Ban the usage of phones in class.

Make them write notes with paper and pen. No computers or tablets.

If you see someone using a phone, make them come up infront of the class and sing a song or act like an animal of your choice for a minute.

13. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

why dont teachers just buy a mobile phone jammer?

14. cynics macrumors G3

Not a bad idea until something terrible happens. Headlines would be "Schools block children from calling 911 in an emergency".

15. stickybuns macrumors 6502

I've allowed my (college age students) to use their phones to do a quick bit of research.

My syllabus states that electronic devices are forbidden unless given permission for a specific activity.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

On a much simpler note, I feel the students not lucky enough to have this technology in class would feel out of place, or even pressure their parents to buy them said technology as a direct result of it being incorporated into the curriculum. I know I would have been one of those kids without, growing up. I did have a cell phone which was strictly for emergencies (and weekend/night calls were also ok), but this was before smartphones. I know we wouldn't have been able to afford $200 on a phone as well as pay the insane monthly rates, though.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

This is a terrible idea, and I can't believe your kids school does that. It is just asking to get the school/district into trouble

schools are given too much power in some aspects these days, and being able to take a $600+ device from a student for a WEEK should constitute theft regardless of the reasons.

If a student refuses to stop using their phone, then send them out of class, to the principal/assistant principal/etc.
    in a worse case scenario, take the phone away and require the students parent to come pick it up, so you know for sure they are aware of the issue. But still, the student should be given chances to stop using the phone before it is taken away, and again NOT for a week.

----------

when you're a college professor, you should be expected to be accessible to students for questions outside of class. not necessarily after class, but at my school (and most schools) professors are required to hold office hours for students who choose to come in for extra help. There are more reasons to need extra help outside of class than being on phones in class all the time.

What she should do is make it clear that she has set office hours for them to come get help, and if they miss things because they are on electronic devices, then they have only those times to get caught up (time that is shared by everyone in the class). Outside of that, she makes no guarantees on what she can do to help them.

18. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

That is illegal in the US. A teacher in my hs tried, and the authorities told them they couldn't.

19. Ishmumrhmn, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

There are good sides to it, and there are bad sides to it.
    Pros:
    Students can use the internet to research things
    Cons:
    Students start tweeting and/or facebooking which isn't allowed
    Or listen to music

Here in Vancouver, I'm in grade 9 at the moment, teachers aren't REALLY strict about phones.
    99% of the people in class don't try using them, but there's always the 1% who keep on using them until they get a warning.

In my opinion, students should simply be told to not use their phones in class, and penalties like confiscating until the end of the class should be enforced.

20. toblerboy thread starter macrumors member

A mobile phone jammer is illegial in the UK too - a school once tried it and got into a bit of trouble.
    I reckon that if some cool educational stuff could be used by them, then they would be seen in a different light by students. They would be less eager to always fiddle with them.