For all the numerous threads that bash the iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cupofjoe, Feb 23, 2008.

1. cupofjoe macrumors regular

I just wanted to say this, as I see a lot of complaining as of late about the SDK and other things... (somewhat long read)

(long time lurker, first time poster)

I bought my iPhone directly from the Online Apple Store last week, and as soon as I bought that baby, I was tracking it from China, to HK, to Alaska, to Tennessee, to my home here in sunny 'ol Florida, using the lovely Delivery Status dashboard widget by my dear friend Mike Piontek, on my Macbook. It's been quite a journey waiting for it, and here's where my topic will probably differ from [most] other threads here:

I'm here to say that this has been the best experience with a "phone" or piece of tech since I bought my Macbook in September of 2007. I've been an avid watcher of Mac products, but until last year, the biggest piece of Apple hardware I had ever bought was an iPod (1G, 3G, and 5G as well -- and I loved those little guys to death -- almost literally :p). And until I had purchased my Macbook I never felt secure with any of my laptops (I've had instances of HP laptops breaking down on me... when I needed a computer most). The Macbook is a top-notch piece of Apple hardware with a brilliantly designed OS [and I love Leopard as well!].

Back to this device though, as this IS the iPhone board, and I'm digressing from the subject at hand.

This device has been effortless to set up. I received it via UPS at 9:15am Wednesday, and I had a call coming from someone before 9:30 even rolled around. I'm a current AT&T customer, so the switch was such a breeze. Not only that, but EVERYTHING I sync'd -- which took 30-45 minutes tops -- was brilliantly displayed before long. All my phone numbers I had BT'd from my old KRZR into Address Book the night before, my ringtones I had created in GarageBand, my email profiles from Apple Mail, my iTunes library, my videos, everything. It was unreal. I know I may sound crazy here -- but having to press one button and then seeing THAT in less than an hour? That was nuts. I didn't have to do anything! :eek:

This device is both beautiful and completely functional in so many ways. The apps that are already available with 1.1.3 are just so completely awesome to use that I've just fallen in love with everything -- even the calculator! ;)

Texting is an absolute breeze, and so fun! I have never had so much fun texting in my life. It's a good thing I got the data plan with 1500 texts! :p Seriously though, I love the iChatesque interface, the touch keyboard, the mistake fixer, everything.

Visual voicemail is so awesome. It took me about 5-6 minutes to get my first voicemail on it (I had someone test it out for me), but since then, it's been instant. I love being able to skip those voicemails from work I don't wanna listen to yet. :p And also skip to any portion of a voicemail I want. Very snazzy!

The iPod side -- I of course have NOTHING but nice things to say about it. Cover flow is nice, touching my music is nice, but perhaps my FAVORITE part of everything is picking up a CALL on my iPhone stereo headphones WHILE listening to music. It's absolutely brilliant the fade, the interface. I mean, I thought the commercials were cute and all, but I never expected it to be that smooth. And Apple surprised me again!

Safari is an excellent addition to this phone, even as barebones as it is. I've had a few Safari crashes, but nothing that a off/on reset hasn't fixed. :p Of course it still leaves a lot to be desired (Flash, 3G, etc.), but EDGE is -- and I know you're gonna bash me for saying this -- fast enough, at least for me. While it's certainly not blazing fast, it's damn good enough for me, and I use it quite a bit to be honest. I didn't want to wait on 3G, because, to be honest, it's not gonna make too much of a difference for me. If I want blazing fast speeds, I'll use a computer. :p Otherwise, it's quite pointless to wait on an internal addition like that so you can get to web apps -- like "Moviefone", etc -- "10 times faster" or whatever. EDGE is good for my news sites, my web apps, and really not worth waiting for in the jest of things, as it's not as horrible as some crappy WAP browsers I've used on phones in the past.

The Maps functionality has blown me away as well. The accuracy of the "find me" button is just... too awesome. Sometimes I drive and go to Maps just too see how accurate it can get, and it hasn't been wrong yet. I can't wait to get lost and use this thing. (I can't believe I said that :rolleyes:) Anyways, I'm really glad that Apple added that in this recent update, because that's something I've always wanted in a phone. I can't wait for more of their updates!

The iTunes store is pretty cool, and I'm glad it'll sync stuff that I buy on the go, but seeing as how I have to be in wifi to use it.... it's SORT of a diminished value, as I could just use my MB in the wifi. It is nice that I don't have to do that now, but it's got a limited capacity of use for me.

Youtube, Stocks, Weather are all nice and cute apps.

Notes' functionality is yet to be determined, because they haven't added any fuctionality (if I'm mistaken) to Leopard's notes in Mail app.

The Calendar is great, I love having my iCal events synced so effortlessly (although it did that well with my KRZR too :p).

As I already mentioned, I love checking my mail on this thing, and being able to open and d/l files too (like excel worksheets - to see my work schedule easily :p)

The Clock is a neccessary feature, so nothing of brilliance to add there. :p

The Camera is the only thing I really 'dislike'. It's not the picture taking part -- I've seen some brilliant shots taken with the iPhone camera here in that picture thread. It's the disability of not having that video taking capability. My three year old phone has that capability, and that's just quite sad that my new 500 dollar phone doesn't.

As for the future of the iPhone? Well, it's VERY bright from what I've seen. I've seen some hacked apps -- some REALLY good ones, and I honestly can't wait for this official SDK to come out so I can legally put 3rd party apps on here (Honestly, I couldn't care less that some may cost money). I also can't wait to see what Apple has in store with the updates.

I should also mention that I'm going all out with getting some clothes for my iPhone. I just yesterday ordered the InvisibleShield from ZAGG to keep my iPhone safe and naked at all times. I also got the nice Sena Ultraslim Pouch off the Apple Store for an quick and small blanket to keep it warm and cozy when it needs it. :D Off of Newegg.com, I also purchased the BlueAnt Z9 bluetooth headset for when I'm in the car and other times I can't touch my beautiful baby. I would love some feedback on those products from you guys, even though I am quite aware that this isn't the "Accessories" forum either. :p

Anyways, I guess in short, if you didn't want to read the entire thing, I have a cliffnotes for you:

- The iPhone is a masterful piece of equipment that has a bright future ahead of it.
    - Apple has done it again! I'll never buy another regular phone again! :p
    - If you don't have one, get one! :)

Thank you, Apple.
    And thank you ass well, MacRumors members, for reading, and for making me jump ship and buy one of the most useful and coolest things I've ever owned.

Viva la Apple! :apple:

:p

2. tylerww7 macrumors member

wow that was better than some of my classmates research papers, nice job and i agree.

3. cupofjoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm quite bored at work. :p I should've written it on my iPhone! :eek:

4. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

5. cupofjoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! :)

6. ikare macrumors member

cupofjoe, I agree with you 100%, this is one sexy phone and people are freaking out over rumors, I guess I don' t get it, when a new version comes out, it comes out why all the complaining? There is nothing anyone can do, just buy the phone and enjoy it, why keep posting threads for somebody else to make a decision weather to buy one or not....

7. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Amazing review!

Now I'm even more anxiously awaiting my iPhone!

Ordered mine on Friday and hopefully it should be here on Wednesday morning!
    I can't wait!

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The one thing that worries me about the iPhone is call quality. I've read some reviews that mention it isn't all that good. It's not like any of my previous phones have been the pinnacle of clarity, but the RAZR I have had for about 2 years is pretty good. How does it compare to the KRZR?

9. cupofjoe thread starter macrumors regular

Although it may be a SMIDGEN quieter than my KRZR, that doesn't at all bother me. In fact, everyone I've actually talked to said my voice has sounded more more precise and crisp than with my KRZR. So it does have its pluses and minuses. To each his own. But that type of thing - the volume issue - is fixable through apple firmware, so.... who knows, it could get better.

The speakerphone is essentially useless due to the volume issue though, imho. (At this moment).

10. aridon macrumors member

Its a good phone that could use some additions that should have been in since release.

1. Better safari cache, we should be able to specify the size as well and it should work for all websites not just when it feels like working. No reason for me to go back in the browser and have it almost always reload.

1b. Ability to open links in safari in a new window or tab. More a product of the cache not working but its annoying to hit a site with multiple things you want to view and always have to reload the first page. Tap and hold and open them up in a new window or tab.

2. Mail program should be able to open simple attachments automatically. Can't tell you the number of times I get an email with .eml on the bottom and nothing else. Sorry basic stuff it should open text attachments inline and work down to the file from there. There should also be support for WMV files.

3. Calendar could be better as well with more notification options and perhaps a larger header up top when an appointment is coming due. The text message style thing is cute but once its gone its gone. At least on WM you had a list on the front screen of upcoming things and I liked that a little better.

4. SMS

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with everything else on the phone.

11. SteveUK macrumors newbie

Well said Cupofjoe!

I got my iPhone on friday. As I walked towards the O2 store, I kept saying to myself 'you only need the 8gig..... you only need the 8gig...'. Walked in...

Salesman : Can I help you sir?
    Steve : Yes, I'd like to purchase an iPhone
    Salesman : Certainly sir, 8 or 16gig model? we have both in stock
    Steve : 16gig please :p

No self control at all when it comes to gadgets! lol

Loving every minute of the iPhone, absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

12. Retops macrumors regular

I even like the notes feature

Good review that pretty much reflects my thoughts after having just picked up my first iphone on Friday.

I even like the Notes feature. I have already entered a bunch of data that I need to carry around with me.

I am not much into modifying phones, but I would like to find a nice "to do" list that I could have on the phone.

This phone is definitely fun.

13. Gustavo macrumors newbie

Nicely written

I got my iPhone first day...and while there are a few things which I would like to see improved (spotlight on contacts would be awesome), it is the best phone I have ever had. I wonder when the new version is coming out...

14. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I think the device is great, but I will never own one myself.

I pay less than $10/month ( on average ) for cell service. I just can't justify spending $59/month ( I would bet close to $70 after taxes and fees ) just to be able to use the iPhone. Even if I went pre-pay ( if it's still possible ) that's $50/month for the cheapest iphone plan.

Maybe a Touch. For the same price I can double my capacity and not have any sort of monthly premium that I'm paying for the device.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Succinctly? I wouldn't say so. ;):)

Thoroughly is more like it. ;)

cupofjoe I think you've reminded us that the iPhone is a big change in many ways. It truly is a remarkable product, and I'm glad you enjoy yours. :)

The iPhone is a very outstanding product that is going to push the boundaries of phone makers. However, you're always going to have someone that is unsatisfied, and I think the forum merely acts as a magnet to that.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I love reading reviews like this. After owning my iPhone for nearly a month, I still get that little tickle feeling in the stomach when I hear somebody praising how amazing it is. Coming from using a blackberry, which I'll admit has a lot of things that I wish the iphone had, I'm pleasantly surprised. I upgraded to the blackberry from the Razr and told myself I wouldn't be getting another phone until my contract was up (something like 18 months). I was convinced the Pearl was the best thing out there. I even watched the iPhone grow popular amongst some people at work but never even had a desire to get one. That is until I had the chance to play with one. Took about 4.8 seconds for me to make the decision that I'd be spending $400 the next day. I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about the release of this SDK. I had my 1.1.3 OTB jailbroked within a week of getting it and have since restored.

17. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

honestly lack of financing has kept me from getting an iphone, and it cant do everything my current phone can (treo 700p), but then it again it can do a hella lot more aswell. once/if the next revision has an infrared port (for use as tv remote http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5014492#post5014492 ) then there will be no power on this earth can keep us apart, except for lack of $. im also waiting on the free iphone ad campaign:p

18. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

Cup of Joe, great review. Sometimes it has been a love/hate relationship with some quality control issues I have run into, but Apple has always been very good about making things right.

I would however, recommend the BodyGuardz full body cover for the iPhone. It received an excellent rating over at iLounge and is better than the Shieldzone product IMO. I have had both, and the BodyGuardz product gives you two complete shields for the same price, and is much less noticable once applied.

Enjoy your phone!

19. wizard macrumors 68040

That is because there is some justification for those complaints. Just realize that complaints don't take away from the devices good points.
    That is a lot of wasted bandwidth for a silly ass phone.
    Yes it is!
    True if you are using Apple OS or MS OS'es but pretty terrible if you use different operating systems.
    OK this is where you loose me totally. Yes there are some nice apps with the iphone everyone acknowledges this. However a very simply calculator is not a good example of anything.
    If you didn't loose me with the above statements you certainly have with this allusion to a love affair with texting. I'm frightened to think that you might be one of those idiots that text's while driving.
    If there is one thing that is in desperate need of improvements it is Safari. As you have noted very barebones. I'd especially want to see file system access here to view locally stored files and more importantly be able to save specific pieces of a web site.
    I think it is silly to be waiting on 3G as I just don't see a lot of people leveraging it. There are other things that would make the iPhone more worthwhile to wait for. Most of them software.
    I'm not knocking fast speeds either but I see 3G as being way over blown and in some ways limiting. Apple says they are waiting for lower power chips but that is only part of the equation as you still need to radiate RF power. I would not be surprised if we find the 3G iphone to be bulkier than the original simply to contain a larger battery.
    What if you do so in an area with no cell access? The point is new technology doesn't make up for responsible behavior and ability to think on your feet. To me this is like somebody going out into the woods with a GPS unit and no map or compass. Yeah GPS is nice but what do you do if the batteries die on the Chinese blast the satellites out of the sky?
    Cool as in well implemented technology but one has to keep in mind that they sell DRM music which is highly uncool.
    Well I personally dislike most cell phone cameras. That due to a life time of using 35mm and medium format cameras. In any event if you follow the technology there is still a huge amount of room for improvement in cell phone cameras. I expect Apple will make strides in this respect.
    The problem with the above is your usage of the word "legal". There is nothing illegal about installing the software, of your choice, on your computer. What should really be questioned in this regard is why Apple and similar companies can get away with the restrictions they have placed on these sorts of devices.
    Funny but I'm not wearing any clothes at the moment!

In any event it sounds like you need to find a wife and produce a few children.

Masterful yes but it remains to be seen if Apple can manage its iPhone in such a way that its future remains bright. To put it bluntly they are not doing a good job of it at the moment.
    Many people have been saying as much for some time now. The focus is smart phones in general but the ideas remain the same.
    Not yet. I'm holding out and I suspect a lot of other people are two. For one thing the combination of the iPhones price and the AT&T contract is way to high. High in the sense of highway robbery.

Further Apple needs to better support the hardware that they already have in the iPhone. They've done a lot of work on the OS but have missed some great opportunities due to the lack of fleshing out that OS. The things that screams out for better support are bluetooth, diskmode and a fuller networking stack. Apple certainly has satisfied a lot of people but at the same time they have many limitations that make use of these device difficult.
    Well after all the slapping on the back you where getting I had to point out a few issues that I thought would offer balance. Sure iPhone is cool, no doubt about it, but it is not the end of technology's rapid development nor is it the only device that is evolving. For example one company is hoping to have on the market, by mid year, a cell phone with a roll out 5 inch screen. Frankly I see the potential for really innovative hardware in the hand held arena to be huge in the next couple of years. Some of the display technologies in and of themselves will blow you away if they ever get to market. In many ways iPhone is a device built on old technology with a modern approach to software, what will be interesting is to see what Apple can deliver with modern technology coupled to their software.

Dave

20. ikare macrumors member

To the above post, whatever, can't someone just be able to enjoy something without all the negativity? If you are that unhappy with the iPhone, get something else....

21. cupofjoe thread starter macrumors regular

I never called it the end, sir. At all. In fact, I'm pretty sure the way I worded everything in that review assumes that the iPhone is the beginning of a brand new market of cell phones and cell phone buyers. It will have other cell companies scrambling to compete and up the game, creative great competition. I welcome that.

And I'm honestly not sorry you don't see some of the obvious satirical elements of my review. Some of it was done in jest to uselessness of apps (such as my joke about the calculator), and the "clothes" remark was a joke as well, and... well, I really shouldn't have to explain myself to someone who can't appreciate a "positive" review. Of course there are some faults, there are in every technology item I've ever come across. That's just the way crap works, but there's so much time to improve upon the OS. I can take the negative criticisms, but the jabs at my personality are just a bit too far -- calling me an "idiot" among other things.

And after all you had to say - you don't even own an iPhone. Does anyone see any irony in that? Now I'm not discounting anything you said -- you did make some solid points (and yes, I do agree with you on some of your points -- there is a lot of improvement to be had) -- but this review is coming from an iPhone owner, not someone here to quip at almost every single remark I made in an attempt to bring the thread down.

Lastly, as I don't feel the need to go any further at the moment: Texting is a breeze, you can ask anyone here who actually owns an iPhone and has used it more than 10 minutes. Texting is actually enjoyable. And no, I don't text and drive, but thank you kindly sir for your remarkably ill-mannered assumption. In short, most of what I read was glib and completely negative, as you misunderstood quite a bit.

My review was meant both to relieve the tension of the forum a bit, and give my sincere feelings to the forum, not to argue with someone about what they think the iPhone should be to them. But thanks for your comment. :rolleyes: