For all the UK iPhone 4 owner,...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hohohong, Jun 28, 2010.

1. hohohong macrumors 6502

Is your subsidized iPhone 4 unlocked?

Cheers!

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I haven't tried, but O2 has said that they wont unlock their iPhone 4s until the initial launch period has died down to stop people selling them on.

3. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Reason I asked is there’re rumours going on now that except for USA, all iphone 4 sold are unlocked, subsidized or not.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple is selling the iPhone 4 unsubsidised and unlocked on its website in some countries, but if you buy it from a carrier (even Pay as you Go) it's locked.

5. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for ur info. Someone mentioned that all will be unlocked (cept for USA) to eliminate logistic issue.

Did u actually try with other carrier sim?

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I would have tried, but where the iPhone uses Micro SIMs I don't want to cut down one of my spare SIM cards.

7. DemonJim macrumors newbie

DemonJim

I can confirm that an iPhone 4 bought sim-free from Apple in the UK works with any carrier (only tried my cutdown T-Mobile SIM and a payg O2 SIM but both work fine so that is proof enough for me :) )

8. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

But of course. Sim-free means just that. I’m more curious about subsidized iPhone 4 as some were saying all iPhone 4 comes unlocked now as you have to pay early termination fee if u r in contract anyway.

9. realtycoon macrumors newbie

Anyone??? I'm hearing mixed about iPhone 4 purchased on contract from the Apple Store being locked and/or unlocked

10. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

it's ultimately down to the employee at the apple store who scanned your phone into the till - they have to specify there and then what network the phone is locked to

i bought a sim free and the guy asked me what network was I on and i said why, does that matter? I want unlocked...he said good point and then proceeded to enter a load of 00000's into the system so that it came up as unlocked.

11. DemonJim macrumors newbie

DemonJim

Sorry yes I got the wrong end of the stick here. It makes total sense what you say but the networks do like to keep you by locking the phone in spite of any ETF. This is why I bought sim-free, as I'm not having any of that.

Btw there are no logistical issues with locked/unlocked phones because they all start life the same - unlocked - only when purchased can a lock be imposed on it on Apple's activation servers.

It was my understanding that all subsidised phones (even from Apple) get locked to that network on activation. I'd be interested to know too if this is no longer the case.

12. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm,… sounds like whether the iPhone is locked or unlocked when buying from Apple is decided when u register it at the cashier.

13. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

A guy got his factory O2 locked iPhone 4 unlocked by entering his details on the O2 website, but O2 doesn't have any PAYG plans yet until 1st of August.

14. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

really?? Is that a loop hole?

15. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Mine is unlocked now. Got it as an upgrade from O2 and it was locked after I activated it.

I then completed the unlock request form on O2's website and got a text about 48 hours later saying it was now unlocked - all I needed to do was insert a different network SIM in and activate it through iTunes. I tried it with my fiancee's SIM (Orange), and it works just fine.

16. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

But you still have an O2 contract? Or were you able to buy it without?

And to the OP I can tell you that Orange Pay as you go iPhones are locked.

17. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Not really. O2 unlock iPhones via their website, although they have sort of specified they won't unlock iPhone 4's yet, but I know plenty of people who have got theirs unlocked through the website.

To answer your original question --- it seems that all iPhones (even previous to the iPhone 4) come in a 'dummy' state originally (not locked or unlocked, just dead), and it's during the initial activation process in Store or via Online that it is decided what network it will be on.

18. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Oh, I bought it on contract and will still have the contract, but it is possible to unlock it with O2.

19. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Ah okay. Thats still very nice though. If I stick with O2 I'll be sure to unlock it too. Thanks for the heads up.

20. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

When I was queuing up on launch day, a guy in front of me said he wanted to sign up for a i4 on Vodafone and asked if the phone will be unlocked.

The Apple employee said that all phones in the store are actually sim-free but with those sold with a contract, once they are activated with the carrier, ie. Orange, O2 or Voda... it will be locked to that carrier thereafter.

21. cirn0 macrumors newbie

:D was it me in front of you in trafford center?

Actually I had a word with vodafone over the phone, been told they wont lock my phone if it was purchased from apple. If they do I believe there must be a way to complain and unlock, afterall I paid Vodafone for the sim-only service, they have no right in changing the software in my device.
    Or if it is apple locking my phone then I cannot really find anywhere said you can only use one network with the device.