For all this subsidized 3G iphone stuff...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stateofmind, May 13, 2008.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

will I (being an existing ATT member under a 2 year contract) be able to renew that contract to get the iphone at the rumored price of 199-299?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

you should be able to add the new phone to your existing contract. you are buying the phone outright, it shouldn't be a problem.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While no one knows for sure but it's almost 100% likely that you will not be able to get a subsidized iPhone without at least signing a new 2 year contract. You can't get any new subsidized phone added onto an existing contract so why do you think AT&T would do it with the iPhone?

Also you are not "buying the phone outright" since it would be subsidized. Buying it outright means paying the full price from the Apple store. Of course this is all assuming the AT&T subsudizing rumor will happen.

5. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

I would have no problem signing a new contract

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I was planning on buying my phone outright at the apple store. I wasnt aware they were going to subsidize phone prices when signing a 2 year contract. Either way I am not eligable since I just renewed my AT&T Contract in Feb. when I bought my 16GB iPhone.

7. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I just got my iPhone last July but since I paid full price it does not count against me. My ATT account says that I am eligible for a phone discount now. You don't have to finish your current two year contract if you are signing a new one (or you can think of it as extending your current one two more years), only if you want to cancel service. ATT didn't give me any discount for the current contract so they are not making wait to get a discount. Of course, they may not offer a subsidy on the iPhone but that is one of the rampant rumors flying around.

8. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

Wait, im in your situation but I renewed in October, cant you just renew your contract to get the better price?

9. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I will have to call AT&T to find out. When I bought the iPhone from Apple Online Store and activated it through iTunes it extended and renewed my 2 year contact. At the time when I bought the iPhone I was eligible for an equipment upgrade discount and my contract had expired. Since I bought the last iPhone I dont see why they would renew my contract, but I understand that when you register the unit through iTunes it does this by default, is that correct?

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I read a rumor somewhere that the deal was only going to be for brand new customers

11. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I have been with AT&T/Cingular/PacBell Wireless since Oct. 1999. If I was elgiable for an equipment upgrade they should give it to existing customers as well. Not just new ones. Oh well!:confused:

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If it were that simple the OP would have never posted. We will not know or can have no way of knowing until AT&T/Apple announce it. So call all you want but AT&T/Apple can't tell you anything at this time.