For All Those Who Use Their iPhone In The Car! Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazyitalian198, Jul 29, 2008.

1. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

Hey there. I have an iPhone 3g that I want to dock in my car so that I can..

1.) Output Audio Through the Dock Connector To My Stereo
    2.) Charge My iPhone
    3.) Mount It For When Turn By Turn GPS Arrives

I can do all three steps, but I keep getting the GSM buzz when I use Edge. This happened with my old iPhone as well, but I could move it away from the stereo and only hear it every so often.

I bought the cheapest stereo with an AUX about two years ago that has worked great....except this issue is annoying as hell.

Ive used Ferrite Beads on the Stereo's input and output to very little avail.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO USE THEIR IPHONE IN THE CAR, WHAT STEREO DO YOU USE...(Assuming its not the stock)....

I'm going to try a new stereo and install a ground loop to hopefully stop the sound. While on 3G everything is fine; however, I only have EDGE at my University. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I use the stock radio with an iTrip Auto. I would just suggest not using data when in the car (as it is illegal in most jurisdictions).

TEG

3. crazyitalian198 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not just data though. Voice is plagued by the same problem. I believe that it must be my cheap stereo combined with amplification/interference from charging the iPhone as well. While there are a decent number of articles on the web about this issue, there are two few for it to be a major issue with every stereo. I just don't want to buy the stereo and have the same problem!

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Make sure all your cables are properly shielded. I doubt a GLI will be able to do anything against the GSM radio buzzing...

5. mykoljay macrumors member

Get an RF modulator from Radio Shack for like $10. It will remove the buzz sound.

6. crazyitalian198 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't think GLI will do much either. I should mention that the phone doesn't need to be plugged in to create the interference. It has to do with the way GSM connects to the towers. I've heard that better car stereos block this interference. Do you guys use the stock stereos in your cars or have you installed something else. I have tried on a Lexus with the stock stereo and there is no problem. I could turn on airplane mode, but I need to have phone access!

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Works fine on my Mazda 6 with the stock radio and OEM iPod interface module, no interference at all. Of course it won't charge my 3G because they took out firewire charging support, but there's enough threads about that already ;)

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What is illegal about having data turned on in the car?

9. nanvinnie macrumors regular

not sure what the exact law is, but it is illegal. this is why all navis in cars disable a lot features while in motion. lexus won't let you reprogram your route while driving. other aftermarket products have accelerometers to limit certain functions. i guess it all plays into the whole handsfree deal while driving.

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

My TomTom doesn't have this restriction.

11. crazyitalian198 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you guys use custom stereo receivers in you cars?

12. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

There you go. Cheap stereo and cheap wire and cheap speakers will give you cheap performance. The stock equipment should be shielded properly as will higher quality aftermarket. You could ask some install shops about it, no doubt they have had experience.

13. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

It's got nothing to do with the stereo being cheap or the inputs/outputs being ferrite beaded (though that can/will help, if you're picking up noise there too).

If you want your SPEAKERS to stop buzzing, you need to put ferrite beads on your speaker leads...preferably as close to the speaker as possible (a few inches down the line won't hurt).

This is because the wires leading to your speakers act as an antenna picking up "noise" or interference from the cell phone. Block the interference just before the speaker and your buzz will be gone. Worked fine on my factory system, but it was a bit of a pain in the neck to pull the door panels off to put beads on the front door speakers.

14. crazyitalian198 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not having any interference with the speakers themselves. I've seen speakers interfere with GSM phone before. I remember this happening many years ago with my PC speakers. However, these speakers are no affected at all when I put the phone near them. The interference gets worse when I put the phone close to the receiver, not when I put the phone next to the speakers. I believe having ferrite beads near the speaker wouldn't hurt, but it is obvious that there is something going on with the stereo itself. I think I'll go to Best Buy and put my phone next to the floor models (they usually have them connected to some sort of speaker system).

15. mrgoat macrumors newbie

I think you not fully understand what a ground loop is. according to wikipedia:
    What you want to do is add extra grounding straps or an isolator.