Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Was the wait worth it? Seriously... was it?

Now you've seen Apple's next incarnation, is it everything you've expected and more? Or was it just a large kick in your guts? I'm curious.

MIKE666

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
There was always going to be the negativity, but just think at least its not going to fail like my penryn:eek:.

I wish i had of waited, only because of the problems with the 8600 otherwise id rather have the previous one tbh

x

ZachSB

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
I think it's a better computer than the current ones, it just isn't good enough for me to spend 2500 on.

Firanide

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Canadia
Was the wait worth it? Seriously... was it?

Now you've seen Apple's next incarnation, is it everything you've expected and more? Or was it just a large kick in your guts? I'm curious.

Yes, it was worth it. Maybe it's not what everyone was expecting (Blu-ray (lol), WiMAX (LOL), etc), but all-in-all it's still an upgrade. The only downside is the glossy screen which is a bad move for people needing a matte finish, but thankfully I'm not one of them.

I'm still upgrading, because it still beats the crap out of my Rev A 17" MBP.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Dont like what im seeing at this moment at all

and the pricing as well

Ill wait till i see it in person, my reseller offer end of the line macbooks. Might get the old mbp

Oli80

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
My 12" powerbook G4 died a few weeks ago (wife dropped it! :mad:)and I thought I'd wait for the new MBP to come out before ordering.

Am I happy I waited? Absolutely! I love the look, and the specs will do me fine. Will also order the 24" display in the new year as a gift to myself for getting a new job. ;)

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I was going to wait, but now I'm happy I didn't. That is except for the issues with the 8600. I don't really see a reason to bump up. 3% increase in graphics, no noticeable increase in processor. The only real difference is a faster fsb.

But then again, I have the 2.5, 6mb cache processor so I think I'm actually pretty much equal.

stagemanagerav

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
I think this is pretty classic Apple stuff.

Apple releases a product upgrade and everyone should be happy. Some people love the upgrade and are now happy. Some people hate the upgrade and now wish they had access to the former model, they are temporally sad. Some people, like me, have the Early 2008 model and they want to get the new model so they offer to sell their old model to someone who wants an old model. Now two people are happy.

See, isn't Apple great :)

Seriously though, if you hate the new keyboard, new glass trackpad, and new price, talk to me, I'm selling the one in my signature.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I have just spoken to apple customer services and had them order a newer spec 17" MBP to replace my BTO one. As what I had BTO is now standard. I thought the screen on the 15" would have improved. But no it has not so, 17" is where I will be chilling without the chicklet keyboard also:D

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
This is simple.

If you were waiting for a Macbook, this was well worth the wait.

Waiting for a Macbook Pro, it really wasn't. You're getting a new chipset, and...?

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I've thinking of switching to Mac for a while and was waiting to see what they offered today to decide whether or nor to do it.

I'm happy with the revisions, the only concern is the price increase in the UK on top of what was already an excessive price tag.

My girlfriend is in the states at the minute, is there anything stopping me getting her to pick me up a new MBP tomorrow and bring it back for me?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
My girlfriend is in the states at the minute, is there anything stopping me getting her to pick me up a new MBP tomorrow and bring it back for me?

Nope. Just be sure to buy the right adapter so you can plug your notebook in the different power outlets. Plus, don't bring the Macbook Pro box on the plane. :rolleyes:

wakeborder556

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I like the old MBP keyboard better.

Larger trackpad would be nice but before i saw this i thought the last gen was fine. Black bezel is cool.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I think this is pretty classic Apple stuff.

Apple releases a product upgrade and everyone should be happy. Some people love the upgrade and are now happy. Some people hate the upgrade and now wish they had access to the former model, they are temporally sad. Some people, like me, have the Early 2008 model and they want to get the new model so they offer to sell their old model to someone who wants an old model. Now two people are happy.

See, isn't Apple great :)

Seriously though, if you hate the new keyboard, new glass trackpad, and new price, talk to me, I'm selling the one in my signature.

Technically speaking, the new models haven't arrive at the stores yet (me thinks) and those who'd originally waited but now prefer the older model could purchase one. It's not too late! Though as time trickles away, Apple will simply switch to the newer designs and the only way to obtain the older machine is via their refurb store.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I like what I see. Everything except the price. I'll buy one, but most likely in another 3 or 4 months.

stagemanagerav

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Technically speaking, the new models haven't arrive at the stores yet (me thinks) and those who'd originally waited but now prefer the older model could purchase one. It's not too late! Though as time trickles away, Apple will simply switch to the newer designs and the only way to obtain the older machine is via their refurb store.

Very true, however the computers at the store will cost full price, whereas a 6 month used laptop is cheeper. ;)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Very true, however the computers at the store will cost full price, whereas a 6 month used laptop is cheeper. ;)

Nah, ain't you seen the prices on the refurb store? it's much cheaper!! Plus you'll still get that all important 14days for a exchange shou;d something go drastically wrong... also just because they're refurbs, it doesn't mean you can't buy AppleCare.

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
Only thing I'm pissed about is the edu. discount....I was a tad upset that it didn't come with the 9650m but I kind knew they were going to throw in a 9600m instead. I was going to pick a glossy screen any way "I liked glossy better when I looked at them in person". The design is growing on my especially since going to dell's and hp's online stores and looking at there laptops they looked like a pile of steaming turd IMHO. Now i have to decide if it is worth the extra money for the 2.53ghz over 2.4ghz I don't imagine the extra 153mhz and extra 3mb cache would be a big enough difference to justify the cost? What do you guys think does it?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
ANY 8600 part woudln't have impressed me. I don't know why I should be impressed by a 9700GT, let alone a 9650...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i am VERY happy with the new MacBook. i was always going to buy one but now i get the new 'brick' aluminium, backlit keyboard and 9400m graphics. the glossy keyboard doesnt worry me as the MacBooks have always had it and so does my MacBook Pro now. the only worry is the price especially in Aussieland which is always a concern:(.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
overview-gallery1-20081014b.png

This is on its way to me, and I can't wait.

I decided to buy a MBP in August. I had put away $2000 to purchase the 'old' model, but as soon as I read the information on this site I decided to wait. Every week I saw "I am so glad I didn't wait...blah blah blah" and I waivered back and forth about buying. Then luck hit and someone offered to buy my MBP and I decided to wait.

I wanted glossy in the first place and now that money isn't a issue, I couldn't be happier.

nato7

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I waited. And then I was disappointed. I decided to take my chance with the last gen 2.5 MBP and hope I don't regret it. I got the refurb. for $1499 and could not see spending the extra money on the new version. I'm a huge fan of Apple products but this has been a huge let down. We'll see what happens in the long run.

Nate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.