Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddiebrock

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Making a thread about this should save people the trouble of searching and trying to get a conclusive answer, as I did when I first logged in.

Based on what I've read at engadet and hackint0sh the update is killing unlocked phones.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/27/iphone-update-re-locking-handsets-disabling-3rd-party-apps/

Just thought I would put this out there to those of you who are jonesing to get an update but are not sure what's the word. The thread here at macrumors eerily enough seems to have little to no mention of whether unlocked phones work or not. The "put an ATT sim in and all will be well" rumor that you may have heard also doesn't solve anything according to numerous accounts.

I haven't updated for what it's worth but I am going off reports I have read in various places.

FYI. I presume the devteam is hard at work at this point. Bless them.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Some guy posted on these forums that his unlocked phone on Rogers in Canada did work with update and stayed unlocked and worked on Rogers. Veracity of which I can't confirm, as I'm locked, unhacked and on AT&T iPhone contract. Also could have been a fluke.

Making a thread about this should save people the trouble of searching and trying to get a conclusive answer, as I did when I first logged in.

Based on what I've read at engadet and hackint0sh the update is killing unlocked phones.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/27/iphone-update-re-locking-handsets-disabling-3rd-party-apps/

Just thought I would put this out there to those of you who are jonesing to get an update but are not sure what's the word. The thread here at macrumors eerily enough seems to have little to no mention of whether unlocked phones work or not. The "put an ATT sim in and all will be well" rumor that you may have heard also doesn't solve anything according to numerous accounts.

I haven't updated for what it's worth but I am going off reports I have read in various places.

FYI. I presume the devteam is hard at work at this point. Bless them.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
SIM Unlock seems to be broken---

I did a restore this AM, prior to the update and when I restored it told me that the SIM was not a valid ATT SIM. It alos would not allow me to activate without the ATT sim card.

What was odd was that it was done after the update to iLife last night. My friend tried the same thing , after mine failed, and he had no issues.

I think they might have slipped somthing in that last drop.

airfrancisco

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
I got the incorrect sim message after I updated. It says to insert an unlocked and valid sim to activate and that's with the current att sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.