For all you people who want the return of the 12"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CorporateFelon, Dec 6, 2007.

1. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

You are all completely insane.

12" 1.18 x 10.9 x 8.6
    13.3"1.08 x 12.78 x 8.92

How can you honestly tell me that the 13" is too big compared to the 12"?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i reckon the ultraportable macbook should be a 10"er. 12" sits on the borderline of ultraportable IMO.

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Mostly because it's almost two inches wider. You should know that, you looked up the measurements.

Further, the issue is moreso that some people want a smaller "pro" machine rather than anything else. If the MB was aluminum, had a matte option, and a discrete graphics card, it would be less of an issue. Other people want a "true ultraportable" in the sense of it being less than an inch thick, around 2 lbs, and smaller than a 12" screen. Apple can't please both with the same machine if they come out with one, but they won't please either with the macbook. Then there's the nuts that want multi-touch and a 16-core processor together in a floating orb with enough flash memory to hold their ever-important iTunes library... and a built-in can opener.

-Ado

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Personally, I never understood the fuss about a 12" *book until I got a 12" iBook. I'd even seen someone using a 12" Pbook at work, but it just looked ridiculously small (puny, really) in comparison to the 15" books. However, once I got myself a twelvie, it's been something else entirely. The computer is literally *just* the right size for portability and performance. I have zero hesitation about taking it to classes with me, or anywhere, really. Just pop it in my backpack and off I go. It feels like a more *personal* computer (something just for me, and no one else) than pretty much any computer I've ever had. I think these are some of the things that drive a lot of fans in the 12" camp. I'll seriously say I'd never considered it to be a viable option for a *book until a couple of weeks ago, but now, I'm sold. The size is totally usable, and no larger laptop will ever be as portable in terms of the 'pick up and go' terms as a 12" will. I spend most of my time using this laptop on my *bed*. How many people can say that about their comps?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Let's put it this way. I have a 12" PB and my wife a MB. There is a HUGE difference between the two simply because that extra 2 inches is spread out on either side of the keyboard and display (when open). It makes more of a difference than you know.

I completely agree with heatmiser when he says, "The computer is literally *just* the right size for portability and performance." It's strange what a measly 2 inches can do for portability.

If you haven't used one in your home you have no idea why people are waiting for a 12" MB(P).

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

I love the 12" powerbook, it is just small enough to still have full size keys, which is really great. But, after using my MacBook for so long, the 12" PB just doesn't quite fit right on my lap. I have gotten used to how I have to sit to support the MacBook, and that 2" difference really does throw my stance off, so to speak. Still a great machine though.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Easy. Weight. A 13" macbook at 5lbs is too heavy. Considering the fact that aluminum is much lighter, I'd say that even a 13" version of the "pro" would be a good pound or so lighter, and more likely closer to a pound and a half.

And then there's the whole matte screen deal...

8. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Have you ever seen a 12''er next to a 13'' MB? Yes? Then you are insane.

If you haven't seen them in comparison next to each other then you would be surprised what difference the 1'' makes.

9. caj macrumors member

caj

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Honestly, the difference in width between the 12" PB and 13.3" MB is even more striking than the width difference between the 13.3" MB and the 15.4" MBP... its crazy!

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Make that a beer bottle opener with an optional corkscrew, and I'm sold.;)

12. spring macrumors regular

I had a 12" (Dell XPS M1210, which had discreet graphics) before I got my 15" MBP, and the portability of a 12" is just amazing. Like some of the posters here have mentioned, it's so easy to just pick it up and go to class. But in my case, I rarely took my laptop to class, and for watching movies I found the 12" a bit too small so I decided I wanted something bigger. For me the ideal size would be 13-14, but since Apple doesn't offer any laptops at that size with discreet graphics, I had to opt for the 15.

13. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

The only way I'd purchase one over the macbook pro is if the graphics capabilities were close to the same. Remove the dvd drive, give it a fairly powerful graphics chip with 256mb of dedicated vram, keep the thing small and giving more battery life....and I'd not hesitate to purchase one.

Unfortunately it will probably just be a slower macbook, shrunk down in an aluminum casing.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

14. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Yeah, sorry, you're going to have to go to the online Apple store for that... it's a BTO option. :)

15. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Damn. Apple's BTO options are always so expensive. Will the floaty orb feature allow it to follow me around wirelessly, or will I need a lead to keep it close?

16. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Agree with all. I went 'backwards' and do not look back! The MB is much larger. It's closer to the 15" MBP.

[​IMG]

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I used to think 15.4" was perfect, but then I got a 14.1" Laptop. I thought that was perfect, but now I have a 13.3" Macbook lol. This is even better! I don't want to go back to 14.1"

I wonder how I'll feel about the 12", I'd definitely give it a try, and would probably love it.

18. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

this is so strange. Whenever i see a MBP 15" in a retail environment, i have to give my head a shake. At home it looks so right but in the store it looks positively puny. What's up with that?:rolleyes:

19. TheStu macrumors 65816

Its the same thing with me and my MacBook... there are times when I am using and thinking "Man, this thing is tiny!" Then there are other times when I think "This is so much larger than I thought it would be" and I have had it for 15 months!

Of course, I pretty much always feel that the 12" PowerBook is tiny.

20. zlinger macrumors member

But hopefully the next model doesn't come with a BBQ grill like my 1st gen MBP.

21. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

Thanks. I'm not so strange as you think i am. :eek:phew...

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Forget about 12" Apple laptops. Give me the 11.1" Sony TZ version. I want something that is so small and light that I may just carry it with me everywhere when I am not using my 17" MBP.

Give me a laptop with 7.5 hours of battery life....

Give me a laptop with NO optical drive and a 64GB SSD for speedy performance

Give me a machine with an underpowered processor that just gets me by at typing papers and emails and surfing the web and doing some small multimedia work so I don't have to worry about burning my legs off when Safari is open, or so that my battery can make it to that 7 hours of life.

Give me built-in Sprint Broadband so that I can surf the web anywhere at any time.

All I need is 2 USB ports and a mini DVI connection and I am fine, everything else can be done wirelessly or through a hub. I am just sitting back and waiting for MWSF 08. If the ultraportable MacBook doesn't come I won't be surprised or upset. That just means that Sony will have to get my $2500 for an 11.1" laptop with kick @$$ battery life and that I will have to get used to Vista or find a copy of XP to put back on my machine.

I'd rather stick with Mac OS X for my personal computing needs, but if I suddenly desire an 11.1" machine and Apple doesn't offer one.... well, there you have it.

23. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

It's not, IMO. But you missed the point. The 13" MacBook is the equivalent of the iBook, i.e. somewhat lacking in the hardware department. We're after a 12" (or even 13") MacBook PRO, whilst currently the smallest is a massive 15".

24. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would like a 12" MBP or a 10" MB. WSXGA either way. I use an external with my MBP closed when I am at home or in a lab.