For Animation: 9400M vs 9600 GT

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Conexionz, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Conexionz macrumors newbie

Which graphics card should I get? For college, I might use the low-end 15" MacBook Pro for light gaming and a bit of Maya (3D Animation) and Photoshop.

I am planning on concentrating on animation/multimedia as a career throughout college, but there are numerous iMac's at my college, so I don't really need to carry around a really hardcore laptop. By the way, I'm hoping this laptop lasts me at least 4 years.

I personally want to save a $200+ and get the the low-end 15" with the 9400M but I'm hesitant.

Also what's the difference with 9400M vs 9400M GT? Maya 2009 is supported for 9400M GT as stated here: Supported Graphics Cards

Thanks a lot guys. :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think previous gen 2.4GHz MBP is best for you. It has 15" screen and 9600GT but costs only 1349$. Look at refurbished store for great deals!

3. Conexionz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but it only has 2 GB's of ram. One of the reasons I wanted to get the new macs were because of the 4 GB's of ram and superb battery life.

4. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Upgrading to 4GB of RAM is about $40-50 these days. That shouldn't be a deal killer. The battery life is another thing entirely, but the previous generation MBP's definitely didn't suck on battery power in any case. If you can save $600, then do it!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can upgrade RAM so easily and it costs ~50$.

I would go for 2.66GHz model if I have to choose from new models. 9600GT makes it more future proving and takes bigger advantage of OpenCL and has better resale value

6. Conexionz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've found the 2.4 model at my university bookstore for $1499 (that's with student discount) and back to my question, would 9400M be sufficent for my needs?

7. heffeque macrumors regular

heffeque

It seems like any advice someone gives you isn't pleasing enough so I guess that you really already know what you want to hear but you also know that it's not true so... I'll say it, you like it or not: No, the 9400 is not good for your needs. There you go. Are you happy now? The rest of the people were giving you alternatives because nobody wanted to say it clearly. You didn't seem to get the hints. Next time don't act like such an ass that way you won't find ass responses like mine.

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

While I mostly agree with you, I really don't think your harsh tone was necessary, heffeque.

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If you want to keep it for 4 years, go for the 9600GT. The $1349 refurb deal is great and you might as well save a good $150 over your school book store. You do realize you'd be paying roughly $400 more(- the iPod touch) for greater battery life, right?