iPhone X For anyone having issues with Face ID.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, May 31, 2018.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I thought this might be a good thread and might help a few people that’s having issues with Face ID. When setting up Face ID hold it down at your waistline with the phone looking up to your face. I was having a ton of issues with Face ID. Would fail constantly, I set it up this way and it’s honestly worked about 90% better. That being said yes ik a lot of people would rather have Touch ID, me being one of those people but this is what we got unless apple brings it back and that’s not likely. So I hope this helps someone.

2. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

Good idea. FWIW I like TouchID better too. I have an X and an SE and I'm going to get a new SE just to bump to the 128gb, I love everything else about it. The X, not so much.

3. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I would definitely wait til after this Monday they might be releasing a new se with a faster processor.

4. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

Good advice...sadly no matter how I set up FaceID, I consistently get failures. Especially while in the sun.

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

But I thought that if it fails you enter your pass code and then it adds that failed attempt to the machine learning algorithm for next time. So if you hold your phone low often, it should pick up on this, right? Isn't the initial scan the starting point? My iPhone X is not the best at facial recognition either. I wear not thick but maybe moderately rimmed titanium gunmetal glasses and have a well maintained ~1/2" beard and sometimes I think it hates me.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Interesting theory. Seems it might work. My Experience has been with the machine relearn process, Face ID has become more successful over time. But I know that varies for everybody.

7. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

When setting up Face ID, it is better to hold it not directly at your face, prolly a little more than a foot away, and lower the device as if you're looking down on your laptop. The only time it fails me is in the morning when my eyes are half open ;)

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I have not even thought about Touch ID once since the launch of the X. Just being honest.

There isn’t anything I miss about prompting a failed attempt just cause my fingers are sweaty or wet. Or my home button is a little dirty from smudging.

Nope don’t miss those days at all.

9. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

Just turn it off for unlock, problem solved much better phone :)

10. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Not sure, but I think it works better by scanning it lower. I thought I'd already done it this way, but I still got the spherical unlock animation more times that I'd liked.

So upon reading this thread, I just reset Face ID, & it seems to work better.

Also think the recent IOS update made Face ID quicker & it now keeps detecting when an initial failure happens + passcode prompt screen is engaged - I turn toward the phone when the passcode screen is on & Face ID works.... I'm sure I needed to put phone to sleep & wake it up again to trigger Face ID?

What bugs me though (& I haven't tested this yet under IOS 11.4), is when the phone's locked & you're on a call, you swipe up to unlock, but you require a second swipe up to unlock. I've also accidentally hung up the call on the first unlock...so I now swipe up to the side of the hang up button just in case...

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That Doesn’t really solve the ‘problem’, that just creates an alternative not having to use face ID. But I said it before another thread, having Face ID completely deactivated, then you risk the user security behind it.

12. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

I only have it off for unlock. The security I need is in the apps that need fid to open, unlimited calls, guess someone could use my 40gb data but I would have had the sim deactivated my then and they would be locked out overnight anyway or 4 hours