For anyone who thinks the MB LCD isnt atrocious

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by areyouwishing, Aug 9, 2007.

1. areyouwishing macrumors regular

Go here: http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

1. Rotate your monitor as far back as possible.
    2. View from 5 inches up from the base, and 10 inches back from the trackpad.
    3. View preferably in a dark room.
    4. Post your results.

This is for a glossy display MacBook (non-pro).

2. GMacDaddyTPO macrumors newbie

3. chex macrumors regular

he's talking about the poor transition between shades of grey

4. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I did this with my iMac and just felt like a burke

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Could you translate that?

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

idiot, moron, buffoon etc.

I would point you towards the urban dictionary definition, english, but it is not safe.

8. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I see it too on my glossy display. Is it because of the glossy?

9. PURCELL429 macrumors member

eh. Its not like im going to be viewing anything from that angle anyway...

10. matthewp macrumors member

Agreed. Lame post - who the heck needs a 180 degree viewing angle :p

11. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

12. chex macrumors regular

it's not about viewing angle, I think he's trying to bring up the problem with the amount of colours the screen actually shows and the amount apple say that it shows, which is reflected in the fact that the colour doesn't have a smooth transition.

Personally,*in this case*, I think it's the website and not the LCD.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/05/18/lawsuit-over-mac-book-mac-book-pro-displays

... a pretty big problem for people using their machines for pro graphics work

13. areyouwishing thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this has nothing to do with viewing angle... viewing angle does not dither pixels, it dims/brightens your entire monitor based on where you are viewing from.

For those that think it is a website issue, you can download the image and eye dropper the values, if the checkered/dither pattern really existed in the file, you would see the value shift from pixel to pixel.

I chose this page/view because it makes it very plain to everyone. I see this when looking straight on... iBooks did not ever do this, iMacs have never done this... so it is not a pro vs. consumer issue either.

14. Zadillo macrumors 65816

I see banding/dithering on that website with my desktop Dell 2005fpw 20" widescreen LCD.

Here's a question; are there ANY laptop LCD's that would display this image better than the MacBook or MBP?

I've seen a few of these complaints about Apple not being honest about the colors shown, but some seem to imply that Apple could be using a better LCD that was capable of showing more colors; my question is, does anyone make this LCD panel, and which shipping laptops have it?

-Zadillo

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is good enough for what it is supposed to do.

It is an iProduct... iProducts are for consumers!

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Except now it's a Mac product! JK, I know what you're talking about. Frankly, no LCD is great at those viewing angles. While I'm a matte fan, I don't think this thread has anything useful to contribute.

17. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

No it's because of TN-panels which are most often 18-bit and therefor only shows 262.144 colors instead of 16.777.216, but they dither things to emulate more.
    Viewing angles for TN-panels sucks aswell and it's an issue, I saw a 17" dell at my sisters work friend and it looked like ****.
    I don't see any banding on this CRT ...

Earlier I ordered the Dell 2007WFP but couldn't stand the antiglare coating so I sent it back, anyway it had some banding aswell even thought it's s-ips, viewing angles where very good thought, not as good as CRT but still good.

I wanted to switch to Nec 20WGX2Pro but the cheaper ones ran out of stock before I got away with the Dell so I missed my opportunity and I don't want to pay more =P

Some people claims their laptops have better screens, and of course there might exist and probably DO exist better TN panels aswell.

Also Lenovo T60/(61/62?) comes in a few variants with IPS panels and they would surely be much better.

18. klymr macrumors 65816

You aren't talking about where the white, glossy, reflective surface meets the slightly different shade of white non-reflective surface in the image, are ya? I am (sorry to say this) on a windows desktop right now and don't feel like hauling my MBP upstairs and hooking it up just to view one website that I can't view on here. I do however, see a line there on this old CRT monitor. Just curious what you are seeing exactly.

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

It does this on my PowerBook too but I can honestly say that i've never felt the need to view my screen at an oblique angle whilst crouching in front of my laptop with my nose hovering over the trackpad.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

did this with my mbp, didnt read the title lol. i was like, its fine!!