Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Especially the Tough Armor or Liquid Air.

Has the back of your phone ever gotten weird streaks? I've seen some aluminium iPhones have permanent discolouring on the back in the same pattern as the inside of the cases so I'm curious if that happens all the time or it's just due to not cleaning the phone and case.

I'm talking about this pattern https://www.imore.com/sites/imore.c...mage/2015/11/spigen-rugged-capsule-ip6s-5.jpg

And this is the issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6982197

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/spigenmarks-jpg.671774/

Maybe related, but my laptop has an aluminium bottom and I have a clear case on it with multiple holes for ventilation and I know that my laptop's bottom has permanent stains in the exact same pattern as the case's holes. They're not a serious issue but are visible and rubbing alcohol doesn't help.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Have experienced it with my daughters iPhone 7, the spigen with the wallet back you slide open has marked the back. I wouldn't use their cases myself, their screen protectors are good though.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Have experienced it with my daughters iPhone 7, the spigen with the wallet back you slide open has marked the back. I wouldn't use their cases myself, their screen protectors are good though.
That's not good to hear. Have you tried to clean it in any way? Do you reckon why it would happen, even if the case is not exposed to any sunlight (UV damage as I've seen)

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
That's not good to hear. Have you tried to clean it in any way? Do you reckon why it would happen, even if the case is not exposed to any sunlight (UV damage as I've seen)

No idea, it's a teenage girl so who knows, it has apple care plus till April so will see near then if to get it replaced or a new one.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Basically what happens is that tiny particles of dust gets inside the case and gets trapped between the raised pattern and the aluminum. Over time, the friction from the case, dust and aluminum back, slowly etches into the aluminum because aluminum is a pretty soft metal.

The pattern on the back is basically sandblasted scratches by friction, tiny dust particles and time.

I don't think there's a problem with the glass back iPhones but it's best to wipe them down at least once a week to avoid that. It's a good general rule for ALL phone cases IMO.

Reactions: alpi123

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Basically what happens is that tiny particles of dust gets inside the case and gets trapped between the raised pattern and the aluminum. Over time, the friction from the case, dust and aluminum back, slowly etches into the aluminum because aluminum is a pretty soft metal.

The pattern on the back is basically sandblasted scratches by friction, tiny dust particles and time.

I don't think there's a problem with the glass back iPhones but it's best to wipe them down at least once a week to avoid that. It's a good general rule for ALL phone cases IMO.
That's very interesting. I thought it had something to do with heat and how the areas where the case and the aluminium back make contact heat faster and therefore degrade quicker, or maybe just dust that's trapped, but makes you wonder why people can't remove it then. Thank you!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Never had this problem with our spigen cases. But I'm probably not a good one to comment because we go through cases pretty regularly so they don't stay on for very long.

I can't stand clear cases because it shows all the lint that gets inside. This is why I tend to stay away from plastic cases. I prefer leather cases or cases that have a very soft interior (felt like) for this reason. Guess I'll continue doing so. :/

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
That's very interesting. I thought it had something to do with heat and how the areas where the case and the aluminium back make contact heat faster and therefore degrade quicker, or maybe just dust that's trapped, but makes you wonder why people can't remove it then. Thank you!
I used a Spigen Tough Armor case on my 6S for years and my only issue with the case was the open portion surrounding the Apple symbol on the back was exposed to sunlight and the rest of the back wasn't. After a few weeks you could see a faint circle around the Apple symbol where the sun discolored the aluminum when compared to the rest of the back. It came off with some aluminum cleaner so I ended up getting a clear rear skin that had UV protection and used that under the case. That was the end of that problem, after three years I peeled the rear skin off and it was pristine.. I really like the case, I just didn't like the cutout for the Apple symbol..

Reactions: alpi123

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I used a Spigen Tough Armor case on my 6S for years and my only issue with the case was the open portion surrounding the Apple symbol on the back was exposed to sunlight and the rest of the back wasn't. After a few weeks you could see a faint circle around the Apple symbol where the sun discolored the aluminum when compared to the rest of the back. It came off with some aluminum cleaner so I ended up getting a clear rear skin that had UV protection and used that under the case. That was the end of that problem, after three years I peeled the rear skin off and it was pristine.. I really like the case, I just didn't like the cutout for the Apple symbol..
That's exactly what I do as well, I always put a clear skin on my phones and then use any case I want. But sometimes the skin interfered with the compatibility, but fortunately, most of the Spigen cases are thick and work with skins

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.