For anyone with problems on 8.3...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mazdamiata210, Apr 12, 2015.

1. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2014
    I was on 8.1.2 jailbroken and was having major issues, notifications weren't coming through, dropped calls, missed texts and emails. It was a disaster. I've restored multiple times and setup as a new phone jailbroken and still had issues... I tried 8.1.2 stock and still problems. I got tired of it, and after saving my shsh file for 8.1.2 with tiny umbrella I restored to 8.2 and it fixed some of my problems however since I owned my 6+ I haven't killed it as much as I have while running 8.2... I lived with my phone completely being dead every day even with little to no use. I would get 12 hours of use consistently on 8.1.2 and any version prior with my 6+ and on 8.2 I was struggling to get 6 or 7 hours. Same apps, setup the same, and horrible battery life... Now 8.3 releases and I update without question. It was much better for bugs, but it still was struggling to get 12 hours daily use.

TLDR - I did a DFU restore, then did a regular restore, setup as a completely new phone. DO NOT restore from any backup - set itunes not to sync your phone. And for the last 3 days I've hit 12+ hours of use consistently.
  2. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2009
    I consistently get around 10 hours of usage on my 6 after restoring from a backup that originated around my iPhone 5 era.

How people can restore and start from scratch with no backup is beyond me. I have several apps that have cumulative data that would be lost if I were to set up as new. Not to mention the text messages and game progress on the one or two that I play.
  3. sunking101 macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2013
    If it's just a simple case of downloading a few apps and typing in a few phone numbers then I can see why people do it. Like you say though, app data and the 5GB of video & photos that I have on my phone would be a PITA to sort out on a regular basis. I have set up as new a couple of times before though, when trying to fix bugs.
  4. mazdamiata210 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2014
    Well this was for the people who were complaining about the issues in 8.3. I've been impressed after doing a clean install. Besides I have no apps that I couldn't live without the data they hold. I delete my texts every night before I go to sleep (waste of space on a 16 gig phone) and I have no games so that doesn't matter. The games I did play once or twice were all linked to facebook and the data was synced anyway. As for pictures, I have dropbox and mega camera upload so all my pictures are stored safe in 3 locations. I really don't lose anything from doing a clean install.
  5. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2012
    By installing the latest iTunes, I've found that it helps when doing an update.

When I tried to get into my messages, all were gone. After doing a soft reset, they were back. I've found that many problems can be fixed by doing a soft or hard reset.

8.3 actually sped up some apps to my surprise. Very happy with the update!
    My phone is the 6 silver grey 128 GB.
  6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Nov 20, 2008
    Ventura County
    I restore my phone every 6-12 months. Will be doing it again right before I get the AppleWatch so everything starts off as fresh. Most apps now have integration whether it be iCloud, Dropbox or their own server that backs up data.

For example:
    Real Racing 3 - Their own server.
    Road Trip - Dropbox/iCloud
    OneSafe - Dropbox/iCloud

I could care less about keeping texts on my phone. If something is important I screenshot it or transfer the entire text string on to my computer (If I don't already have it there because of iMessages and Continuity).
  7. e93to macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2015
    I "clean-installed" iOS 8 because my new iPhone 5S wouldn't restore from backup (I was having display problem with my previous 5S, and Apple gave me a new one).

So far, no serious bugs or issues. Only a couple of minor glitches here and there (Safari did not display websites correctly at one point). Overall, operation is stable and smooth as butter. However, battery life is still bad. I struggle to get more than 5 hours out of full charge.

I think I spent about 4 hours (including 30 minutes of preparation and iTunes restore time) setting up the phone exactly like the contents of backup data. I took screenshots of app arrangements and settings before the compete restore, so I knew how to set it up without guessing.

I would say the question isn't whether you can do it. Yes, while bothersome, there is a way to manually back up apps' data and reimport them after restore (pictures, documents, settings, etc). I was actually surprised some stock apps store settings in the cloud (favorite locations in Map, keyboard shortcuts, etc). Text messages cannot be reimported, but I converted them to PDF files and store them on computer.

So question is... is it worth it? Spending 4+ hours to manually redownload all the apps and rearrange them, and to reconfigure settings like BT, etc. isn't a simple process. If you don't see any improvements on your phone after "clean install", then you just wasted 4 hours. Well, you never know until you do it.