Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I know there are issues with the amd m370x but i was interested in getting the iris pro model only. Im thinking about returning my touchbar mbp for the 2015 model

Reactions: andreyush and smeek

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
I have a Late 2013 rMBP 15" with Iris Pro graphics, and it runs considerably cooler than the Mid 2012 rMBP 15" with 650M I used to have.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I have a mid2015 with iris pro and I have to say that I am very happy with it.

It is certainly quieter than my mid2010 which it replaced and it does run cooler as well.

You can hear the fans running when you are doing intensive tasks but that has always been the case with MBP's anyway.

I don't do graphical work, but I do use Parallels all of the time and I use some pretty intensive programming and compliling software on the Windoze side of things so I do push the machine a fair bit.

Jason

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Can anyone advise average battery life on the 2015 15" with the Iris Pro? Does it average more than 7 hours on light usage?

I am returning my 2016 15" due to poor battery life....

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Can anyone advise average battery life on the 2015 15" with the Iris Pro? Does it average more than 7 hours on light usage?

I am returning my 2016 15" due to poor battery life....

I have a mid 2015 15' WITH the AMD 370x and it gets slightly warm if i'm playing a game or something, although it does get noisy to just keep it at "warm" the laptop never gets "hot". Battery life is easily 8+ hours on this device, so I imagine you'd at least get that, I've been amazed at the battery life. I have experienced slight graphical issues on occasion due to the GPU (used to have a pixelated screen on the "connect to power" screen), although that seemed to go away with an update, but nothing that would make me not want the machine with the GPU over the one without it. If you return your computer i'd honestly look for one with it, as it's worth it and very much better than the Iris pro, which will help keep it going for the years to come.

+ Something that just really pisses me off when "automatic graphics switching" is ON (so the computer is using the Iris Pro most of the time) even opening the application folder causes frame rate drops in the OS! It's crazy. When I know I'm not at risk of running out of power or going on a trip I usually switch it off, because I just want the smoothest and best experience out of a laptop in this price range.

Last edited:

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
I have a mid 2015 15' WITH the AMD 370x and it gets slightly warm if i'm playing a game or something, although it does get noisy to just keep it at "warm" the laptop never gets "hot". Battery life is easily 8+ hours on this device, so I imagine you'd at least get that, I've been amazed at the battery life. I have experienced slight graphical issues on occasion due to the GPU (used to have a pixelated screen on the "connect to power" screen), although that seemed to go away with an update, but nothing that would make me not want the machine with the GPU over the one without it. If you return your computer i'd honestly look for one with it, as it's worth it and very much better than the Iris pro, which will help keep it going for the years to come.

+ Something that just really pisses me off when "automatic graphics switching" is ON (so the computer is using the Iris Pro most of the time) even opening the application folder causes frame rate drops in the OS! It's crazy. When I know I'm not at risk of running out of power or going on a trip I usually switch it off, because I just want the smoothest and best experience out of a laptop in this price range.

Thanks for your reply, good to know the 2015 15" with the 370x is capable of 7+ hours.

I was leaning towards the iGPU model, as I don't require the dGPU for my daily workflow...so good to know that the iGPU verison should be greater than the 8+ hours your experiencing.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
I have the mid 2014 Iris Pro 15" model, should be pretty much the same as the 2015 except for the force press trackpad and a few extra watt hours.

Gaming on the Iris Pro quite honestly gets very hot. It hovers around 99-100C under load, which is right at the tJunction max of the 4770HQ CPU. Not much thermal overhead in this.

I think the dGPU model might counterintuitively run cooler than that, because the chips are seperate. The Iris Pro is running right beside the GPU cores on the same die.

Frequencies also start fluctuating from their boost clock so framerates can get wobbly. But the M370X also does that I hear. These weren't built for constant mixed CPU and GPU load honestly, one or the other works fine alone.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Previous owner of 370x, and not happy. It gets hot fast and fan noise is bound to hit you whenever you hook it up to a 4K display. Would rather go for Iris Pro. Good enough for most tasks except rendering/exporting video. Get the new rMBP 2016, if you edit video. If you cherish battery and connectivity, go for the mid 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.