For aperture/iPhoto users ... a simple but confusing issue I'm having!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eroxx, Aug 15, 2010.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

Hi ... I see that my photos imported beautifully -- I see my subfolders and albums and they are quite easy to navigate. However, in the main "pictures" folder of my computer, all 4000 pictures are in ONE folder, without any of my subfolders that I had before the library was moved into the aperture library. My fear is that for me to see my photos in an organized way, I now HAVE to use aperture ... I'd really like to be able to see my folder system OUTSIDE of aperture itself ... any help???

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You need to use Referenced Images rather than Managed Images if you want to maintain the folders yourself. However even if you use Managed Images you can set up folders and projects within Aperture. I'd suggest looking up "Referenced Images" and "Managed Images" in the Aperture Help.

You have the same options in iPhoto, although the application itself isn't as sophisticated in terms of flexibility when managing the images.

If you are using managed images, you can create Projects that contain different sets of master images and Albums that can cantain images from one or more projects. Then if for some reason you want to get the original files (or the processed images, for that matter) you use the Export command. I don't see any reason to use referenced images unless you want to access them with multiple programs.

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I'm not talking about organizing them within aperture. I'm talking about organizing them within the file directory in the computer. IOW, if I STOP using aperture, all I have right now is ONE folder with 4000 pictures in it, as opposed to one folder with dozens of subfolders (which is what I imported). Does that make sense?

4. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok now I'm REALLY confused --

I was just looking through my photos ...

It seems that there is ALSO a library of photos in iphoto, that ARE organized by folder.

What does that mean in terms of my aperture library? I need a basic tutorial here ... ;0

5. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

my problem a bit clearer

Basically,

I want my files in aperture to be in folders in the finder. How do I get that to happen?

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

When you import from your camera using Aperture, it will put all the files either in the Aperture library (Managed Images), in the Pictures folder (default for Referenced Images), or in a folder of your choosing. You needed to pick a folder when you imported.

If you don't use Aperture to import from camera or you have lots of images on your computer from other sources, you just arrange the files in folders anywhere and in any manner. Then you import them into Aperture telling it to leave the pictures in their current location. Aperture has a Relocate Master Images function if you ever move them, but I've never used it. Presumably this would allow you to rearrange your existing images in Finder and then get Aperture to link up to the relocated files.

If you use the Managed Images, Aperture keeps the masters in it's library, which you don't want it to do.

This is all in the Aperture Users Manual, http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My recommendation: Visit Robert Boyer's website http://photo.rwboyer.com/aperture-ebooks/ and read everything that you can in his blogs... and then buy his ebooks. Aperture is an incredibly powerful tool, and by itself worth owning a Mac. Boyer has a way of describing things in a way that makes a lot of sense. I suspect that there is no way you would consider moving away from Aperture after learning what is possible.

/Jim