For Aperture users: Ben Long talks about v 1.5


pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
2,383
0
Vermontana
Wow, looks great. I'm really psyched on the $0 download cost.

Now all I'm waiting for is an export API for White House Custom Color.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
pdpfilms said:
Wow, looks great. I'm really psyched on the $0 download cost.

Now all I'm waiting for is an export API for White House Custom Color.
Hey Ian - do you have any lags when editing in full screen landscape mode on your Quad?

I feel like straightening , sharpening, contrast etc, should be nearly instant - is it? :confused:
 

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
2,383
0
Vermontana
iGary said:
Hey Ian - do you have any lags when editing in full screen landscape mode on your Quad?

I feel like straightening , sharpening, contrast etc, should be nearly instant - is it? :confused:
Unfortunately, yes... Cropping is pretty quick, as are 90-degree rotations. Arbitrary rotations are almost undoable, as the lag between when you move the cursor and when you get the visual rotation is huge... like 1-2 seconds. Other adjustments such as contrast and saturation are pretty quick... almost instantaneous, I'd say. What about yours?

Overall, I feel Aperture could use even further performance enhancements. The fact that a quad with 4.5gigs of RAM can't perform instantaneous edits such as rotating a picture is somewhat dissapointing. Could it be the GeForce 6600?

I'm learning to deal... and i'm not all that confident that 1.5 will solve it.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
pdpfilms said:
Unfortunately, yes... Cropping is pretty quick, as are 90-degree rotations. Arbitrary rotations are almost undoable, as the lag between when you move the cursor and when you get the visual rotation is huge... like 1-2 seconds. Other adjustments such as contrast and saturation are pretty quick... almost instantaneous, I'd say. What about yours?

Overall, I feel Aperture could use even further performance enhancements. The fact that a quad with 4.5gigs of RAM can't perform instantaneous edits such as rotating a picture is somewhat dissapointing. Could it be the GeForce 6600?

I'm learning to deal... and i'm not all that confident that 1.5 will solve it.
OK, good - thanks for the feedback.

Those are exactly the same issues I have.

And like you, I'm not really confident in 1.5 - and I wonder how long they will optimize it for PPC - I have a feeling that they will obviously keep it a UB, but they have no real reason to make performance tweaks for PPC.

Yes, contrast, saturation etc. work pretty well on my end.

The straighten tool and patch tools drive me insane. I've just gotten to the point if I want to straighten something I never do it in full screen, and that's where I do most of my post-processing work.

But yeah - my problem is my workflow is totally invested in it now. Getting out would be extremely difficult. The interface, however, beats anything out there hands down and cataloguing is absolutely brilliant. I don't even use Portfolio anymore.

Don't think it's your 6600 - I have a 6800GT (got it just because I knew I would be using Aperture) and it lags with certain tools, too.

Fracking frustrating, but like you, I am learing to deal with it. If I have a bunch of shots that I know will need serious tweaking, I'll do em' in Photoshop first, though. :eek:

Thanks for the quick response.