For APFS, any reason not to use case-sensitivity?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by EugW, Sep 23, 2017.

1. EugW macrumors 601

EugW

For APFS, any reason not to use case-sensitivity?

Just wondering, because I just learned that the APFS default is case insensitive. However, my Synology NAS is case sensitive.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Some software does not handle case-sensitive filesystems gracefully. For the boot drive, it is probably a good idea to stick with the defaults. I have used case-sensitive filesystems on external drives for years without any problems.

A.

3. EugW thread starter macrumors 601

EugW

OK, that's good to know. I'll stick with case insensitive for the boot, but may use case sensitive for external drives.

4. cookies! macrumors 6502

Adobe CC has issues with case sensitivity usually.

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

To give an example, you can have database.dat & Database.dat in the same location. If a program cannot handle sensitivity correctly, it could target either & you wouldn't know which until it's executed.

Another possibility is the filesystem only allows one case (I don't know what this file system will do) so you have Database.dat. A program could be written to accept DATABASE.DAT only. If the filesystem is not case sensitive, it doesn't matter how you have the case set. Too much confusion.

6. jamsilver macrumors newbie

In case it helps someone, at some point I upgraded to an APFS (case-sensitive) filesystem and Steam stopped working. So, yeah, Apps might break.