For AT&T upgrading iPhone users....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, May 12, 2008.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Will those of us under AT&T who choose to upgrade our 1st gen iPhones to the 2nd gen iPhones when they are released be subject to sign a new 2 year contract? Seeing as to how even answering that question is speculation, how about those of you who have upgraded from 8gb iPhones to 16gb iPhones...Did you have to sign a new contract? How easy was the transference? Did you literally just have to take the SIM out of your old one and put it in the new one or were their more complicated steps than that?

2. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

This question really confuses me because it is a totally moot concern.

I have been with Cingular/AT&T for over 6 years...in fact so long I lost track, so what if I have 2 more years to go....where would I go? why would I go?

It seems pretty simple to me: 1) If you want an iPhone then you switch to AT&T and keep using the iPhone...no one else (stateside) carries it and there is at least a 4 more year contractual commitment between Apple/AT&T...therefore...moot!

If one has been with AT&T for over 2 years and are still using them then what is the point of worrying about any further obligations when it all works.

If one moves from the 8gig to the 16gig means that there is a 99% chance that they will buy Generation 2 and 3 so again, it is a moot point.

If one has good clear service with AT&T and they are currently upgrading their systems and one is still using then what is the concern?

16gigers did NOT sign a new contract nor was their obligation extended. You can take the sim card out of the iPhone and put it in ANY AT&T GSM phone and it will work. You just can't take an old sim card from a cheapo and put it in the iPhone.

...and last but not least...If one spends $400-$600+ on an iPhone, why in god's name would they not want to use that phone for 18 - 24 months???

I guess I just don't get the question and never will :confused:

3. Xjett macrumors member

I had just bought a Blackberry Pearl a month before I bought an iPhone. When I purchased the iPhone and activated it through iTunes I was worried it wouldn't let me because of such a close time frame. However, it turns out that they just renewed my contract for a month, effectively restarting my two year contract. I was told by a friend of mine who works for AT&T that it is illegal for them to sign you up for anything more than a 2 year contract no matter what you do. At least in the state of Florida it does I don't know about elsewhere.

4. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Correct me if im wrong, but this came up a while ago and the offical word from AT&T was that if your a current subscriber you can get the new Iphone and not have to sign any new extension, but you would pay full price of the unit.

New users would get a rebate of some kind and have to sign a 2 year contract but get the phone at discounted prices..

Now if they will let us existing users sign up for the new 2 year extension and get the discount would be a nice deal at least.

5. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooook then....Thanks mate!

6. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, what discount...I've never heard of this...I thought all people had to pay for the full price of an iPhone.

7. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Got ya...Thanks for the information bud.

8. seenett macrumors regular

AT&T has an official word on a phone discount that isn't for sale yet? I missed that thread. Can you point me to it?

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Here ya go. I used the search button to find it. It's from an article:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=477380

10. seenett macrumors regular

I did see that thread. It says in the article that AT&T (and Apple) did not comment on it, so I can't classify the story as "official". It doesn't even address whether the subsidy will be available to existing customers or not.

In my case, I am an existing AT&T customer but do not own an iphone. I have to think that a subsidy will apply to anyone willing to purchase a new 3G iphone and sign another 2 year contract.