For AT&T, which is cheaper?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 12, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

1. Give in and give another subsidy to existing iPhone users who want to upgrade again.

2. Lowering current data plan fee and text msg fee by $10 in total a month for ALL iPhone users (actually, all smart phone users; you don't want to leave out Blackberry people or you know what)

Because, I believe #2 option can be a very good solution for AT&T to get out of current customer relations nightmare. Imagine AT&T coming out and saying, "We are doing this to benefit ALL our smart phone customers instead of benefiting only a group of...." that sort of crap. I think it will work. And, also, some non-smart phone people might consider converting to smart phone as well.

I guess #1 could be the cheaper option for AT&T.

Either way, I am just interested to see how all this mess would play out. I am for one want those pre-mature upgraders to raise their voices even more. And hopefully, all things will lead to #2. :D

Some people are worried AT&T raising rates if it comes to #1, but I don't think that's likely. Even though they have monopoly, unless other carriers raise their rates also, AT&T alone can't raise rates that easily.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Changing their perfectly valid upgrade policies does nothing but help out few people who they shouldn't even want as customers anyway.

Charging reasonable rates for messaging (include unlimited with data) for example, or getting tethering working, or expanding their 3G network and getting it up to 7.2mbps speeds would do so much more to provide a better service to their customers, and of course lots of good PR.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

To what customer relations nightmare are you referring? The one where people don't seem to understand the meaning of "We'll give you $200 off your device, but you sign a 2yr contract with us."?

I don't think AT&T owes us anything. Personally would I like a cheaper new phone? HECK yeah! One idea I posted in another thread would be to offer $100 off the 3GS for current 3G owners who signed a 2yr agreement, so long as they extend their agreement another year. Consider this 1/2 of a subsidy for half the length of a normal contract term.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

What nightmare? The issue you think is an issue is nothing more the a nat to AT&T. AT&T is not going to void contracts so a few whiners can upgrade this year. Are you guys going to whine every year now? YOU SIGNED A 2YR CONTRACT. They don't have to give you squat!!

5. bigchief macrumors 6502a

" current customer relations nightmare?" Now I don't care who you are, that's funny!

6. Hints-The-Name macrumors member

They wont do either, millions of people are still buying the iPhone, those 9,000 that sign a petition. They dont care about you. Companys are actually out to make money these days(surprise) not just break even.