For audio using lost of plugins

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yurtal, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Yurtal macrumors member

Hey guys. I currently own a 2.53Ghz current 13" MBP and use it a lot for pro tools. I often use plugins like guitar rig, battery, BFD etc and the cpu gets pushed to its limits.

I have tried to read around other sites (gearslutz) for info music laptops with the new i5/17 and I was just wondering if anyone here could shed some light on how much more of a power boost these new processors will give if they arrive in the new macbook pros.

Cheers.

2. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Go to google, and type in i7 620M (that's the presumed new processor) vs T9900 ( the 3.06 currently as an option for the 15 and 17" mbps)

3. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I've been using the supposed benchmark leak and comparing it to the other mac benchmarks for a rough guide.

Geekbench would be an interesting site to hunt around. You can find machines that you think might be similarly spec'd to the new macbook pro to find out the figures.

I'm looking forward to the new machines for audio work as well.

4. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

5. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

Wow the supposed score for the supposed new MBP is very good! These machines make very good desktop replacement options for audio work when you also need the portability for recording on location. I think I will defiantly sell my current 13" and buy the new one. Just hope I can sell it for a reasonable price.
    Thanks for you help.

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Take it with a pinch of salt. Nobody knows what the specs of the new machines will be. There might even be some unforeseen problems with recording. It should do me well though. Not that I do too much location recording. But for a nice lil mixing machine for home I'm sure it'll be grand :).

7. apw100 macrumors regular

Since the new i5/i7's excel at video transcoding, they should also prove very fast for most audio plug-ins.
    Also, there are more and more audio plug-ins that are utilizing the GPU's power. An upgraded GPU in the next refresh will help speed those up too.