For every iPhone 4S news story..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by famoussasjohn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

there's another iPhone 5 news story to bring it back to life..or am I the only one seeing this reoccurring trend?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

In that case, I'm waiting for the next story.

3. famoussasjohn thread starter macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Same here..I'm sure there will be 10 stories going back and forth until the Tuesday. I'm anxious and always interested in announcements.

4. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Did you miss is already? Look at TUAW.

5. famoussasjohn thread starter macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

See what I mean lol.

6. utl768 macrumors 6502

4s would be a devestating hit for apple

ppl would just buy the competition

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Cincinatti bell one? That's a non-story as far as I'm concerned.

8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Not really. It's an iPhone at the end of the day. And if anything, it will keep selling like hotcakes as the current iPhone 4 is selling. Remember, on AT&T, the iPhone 3GS is still the second best selling smartphone. That's a 3 year old phone that people would rather buy over a Samsung or any other Android, simply because it's iPhone.

However, for fanboys and investors, it will be a hard blow. Their faith in Tim Cook and the ability to survive without SJ will surely be hit hard.

9. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

I don't know why everyone is freaking out over the name of the phone. Does it really matter what the device is called?

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

It does if it has a bearing on what the specifications are.

11. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Every time a new iPhone rumor thread is started, God kills a kitten.

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Exactly. As a long time Android user (Captivate then Atrix then Nexus 1) I'm ready to try something new. i've been holding my upgrade for a few months now and I'm ready to get a new phone.

I don't want an iPhone 4, that's why I haven't gotten one and did not get one last year. If they were to release an iPhone 4S, I would be hesitant to buy it, and instead probably wait for Ice Cream Sandwich and see what Android puts out, or look at the Galaxy S 2 more closely.

If it's an iPhone 5, chances are, it would be drastically different; by that I mean different specs, internals, build quality, design.

By the looks of it, I'm assuming this will be the case regardless, but 4S implies incremental upgrade, and a whole new number is a lot more compelling.

Especially when it's a 4S, which implies the 5 comes out NEXT year; which is a problem seeing that contracts are, what, 1.5 years on ATT?

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

every year it just gets worse.

I just wanna get this keynote/pre-order stuff over with. Honestly I have looked at the competition, but unless there is no update at all I'm gonna stick with iPhone. Too much money invested in apps, and I do prefer the interface. Android is nice but for me it's still a little sloppy.

14. famoussasjohn thread starter macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

good..I'm allergic to cats. :)

----------

[​IMG]

http://twitpic.com/6smspt

15. -iKris- macrumors regular

The same design with bumped specs would have a massive negative impact on sales.

I've got a 3GS. I'm a massive fan of Apple stuff. If they release a phone with a 4" screen, I'll buy it on the day of launch. If they release another 4 with bumped specs I'll start considering the competition for the first time.

Other people would react in the same way, and sales would be lost.

16. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I think you're making the world to be a lot smaller than it actually is. In the macrocosm, a 4S is going to sell just as well as the iPhone 4 is selling right now: that is to say, the #1 in sales figures. You have to realize that even with only 3 days to go until announcement, iPhone 4 is still selling wildly across the world.

People who are aware of what the the mythical iPhone 5 is supposed to look like, or follow the rumor sites, are not in the majority (How else can you explain iPhone 3GS being the 2nd best selling smartphone on AT&T right now?). As a result, a new iPhone 4S will remain a new iPhone to the majority of the world, and won't make a difference to them whether it has an A5 or an A4, a 4" screen or a 3.5" screen. To them, it is the "new iPhone".

For the rest of us, including myself, it will. I want to see an iPhone 5 with a bigger screen, and like you (on the 3GS currently), I am considering other alternatives should iPhone 5 not appear. But in the macrocosm, Apple is too popular and too big to have "fanboys" like us, or simply those up to date on the smartphone world, create a dent in their sales.

17. -iKris- macrumors regular

More people with a 4 and a 3GS would get a new iPhone 5 than would get a new iPhone 4S. And a lot of people have a 4 or a 3GS.

People who just walk into a store wanting a phone probably wouldn't care and would just want whatever was the new iPhone.

But I know several people with the 4 that are just like me - waiting to buy a redesign, not interested in an improved 4. And these people are not tech people, or forum dwellers.

I really do hope for a 5 and a bigger screen. I'm sure a Galaxy S2 would be an ok phone, but I'd much much much rather stay with Apple and IOS.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure about that. Many people here on MR might do that.

But remember, the vast majority of Apple customers are not tech-heads like the people here.
    They will be happy to get the "NEW" iPhone - even if it's 4S.

This group on MR is a self selected cohort - not representative of the general population.

And as a daily visitor and avid poster here - I say thank god for that. :D ;) I would suggest that we're all a little weird here.;) :eek:

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Most people still don't understand that the iPhone 4 is on a 3G network. So yeah, I totally agree with you.

Numbers just confuse people, for the better or worse of the seller.