FOR FINAL CUT PRO Which Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MCIowaRulz, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

I would like to hear what other Final Cut users have for screens on there MacBook Pro's.
    Glossy or Matte? and Why

I think i'm going with Matte but I wanted to hear from other users.
    This is my first MacBook Pro with Final Cut as i'm majoring in Broadcasting and Film at an Iowa college.

Sorry:( for the nudge (I should have posted here first but I posted in the DV fourm instead)

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

This really isn't an application specific decision. It's personal preference. Some will tell you the anti-glare is a must. Others will tell you they prefer how the colors *pop* on the glossy screen. Go to the Apple store. Look at both. Make a decision. Done.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For editing the monitor being glossy or not does not matter that much, but for colour correction. I use a 17" MBP with a matte screen and it works quite okay, but for professional colour correction*, one should use a professional monitor anyway (or at least a waveform monitor), as not even the matte screen can reproduce colours 100" correctly.

* meaning you make money with what you edit and colours are a priority.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

in terms of glossy/anti-glare. Its preference because your not color correcting. I like to edit in a somewhat dark/dim light room so glare isn't really an issue. I've had my mbp for a little under a week and just did too jobs editing on it with no issues...(I have glossy)

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would say antiglare b/c it's highly likely you'll be doing some color correction. Also if you plan on making movies that look "film like" the antiglare screen will give a more realistic interpretation.

6. MCIowaRulz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for folks input.
    I plan on getting the Matte screen as the Glossy seems to distract me. I have a XPS Dell 1640 with 1366x768 (now and the Macbook Pro screens (Glossy ones) are smiler and annoying now that i've actually seen them both side-by-side.
    Thanks

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The screen finish has very little to do with its actual color accuracy. The ability to effectively color correct anything on a 6-bit TN panel will be quite limited. You would want a separate calibrated monitor with accurate color for that.

The glossy vs. matte debate is purely preferential. Some people like how the colors pop on a glossy screen, whereas I rather not have my monitor double as a mirror (yes, I'm exaggerating a little bit...), so I chose a matte screen.