For Free: AT&T Plan that has unlim. iPhone Data (see last post)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aopolis, Aug 15, 2010.

1. aopolis macrumors newbie

So I successfully sold my white 16gb 3GS over the weekend for $350 (and $42 of free apps, plus universal dock, and original accessories), and am now looking into selling my contract since it still has the iPhone unlimited data plan, which I no longer need.

I'm just going to go prepaid and pay like $5 a month since I never use minutes...

Any idea how much these are worth? I signed up in Feb or March.

Or are people just giving these away since they are already saving so much with no cancellation fee?

I've got one person on my local craigslist that's looking for this plan, but I don't know what price to tell them or just free..

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't get how you're going to "give him your data plan" can you clarify? As far as I know the only way to do this is to give him all of your information and take your old phone number.

3. aopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a voice plan & the iPhone data plan, you can go to your local AT&T or do it over the phone (I'd prefer in-store) and have them transfer everything after they pass a credit check.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think that this is true. They can no longer even give out unlimited data to anyone let alone transfer it.

5. aopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did you read the threads that you linked?

7. aopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

yes.

but that was all posted in 2008, the one you quoted.

I'm sure the fee is still there, that's fine if it bumps the contract to 11 months that would be more incentive otherwise it would have about 6 extra months, don't think it's going to remove the data plan because it's not "expired" it's grandfathered into the plan, and it's not a rate plan.

I can't find any threads online that said someone did it, but I'll give AT&T a call tomorrow.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Can you let us know what they say? You've piqued my interest.

9. aopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

10. aopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

Here it is!

I called my local store & asked if they still have that "transfer of service thing." They check with mgr, said no. Then on my next Google search, I find things I'd never found before.. with the same search words I had used in the past. & these websites were the first links on the page!

Anyway, a thread on the AT&T.com forums showed up, but I had to register to see it.

I did, and then discovered THIS:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...le=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB94738

I then called 800 customer service to make sure it was still going on today since the threads were all '08 or '09 with one in '10.

Turns out it is still going on, and the data plan isn't considered an expired rate plan, probably because it's not a minute plan.

Anyway, the dumb thing I did was say "I sold my iPhone so I'm going prepaid." My Tilt is already in their system since using it again, but thankfully they didn't change the data plan lol

11. aopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

more

Here's my ad on Craigslist Tampa Bay (if you know anyone that would want to take it over, let me know since it looks like we can do it all online, & not have to meet locally, so that means the whole country is eligible! :))

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mob/1913831930.html

"Please do not flag this listing, I don't know why it was flagged and deleted before, but what I am listing here is completely legitimate and legal. If you do not believe me, feel free to access the AT&T.com link in this ad.

I can be reached at 850-212-1953

I recently sold my iPhone 3GS, but yet still have the contract that goes with it. The contract has the iPhone Unlimited Data plan, which you can no longer add to your plan since AT&T no longer offers it. I am giving the contract away for FREE. I signed up in February (have the receipt to prove it) - What I'm doing is called a Transfer of Finacial Responsibility:

"Transfer of billing responsibility is the procedure to change ownership and financial responsibility of a wireless line of service from the original account owner to a new account owner."

All we would need to do is meet at an official AT&T store, not an authorized retailer, and they would be able to transfer the contract into your name. You would have to pass a credit check with AT&T. OR, I can authorize you to take it over through the AT&T website, and you would receive an email from AT&T with a link to accept the contract, and fill our your information. So since we can do it all online, if you are anywhere in the country, we can still do it.

Here is the AT&T page describing the process: http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...le=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB94738

You can check out the transfer page here if you are already an AT&T customer, just make sure you log into at&t.com before ya click it-- https://www.att.com/olam/tosSupport...age&reportActionEvent=A_SUP_TOS_LANDING_RETR#

"Once the account holder has initiated the Transfer of Billing Responsibility online, an email will be sent to the new subscriber, with a secure link to access and accept the transfer, and complete the Transfer of Billing Responsibility online. A follow-up email confirmation and text message will be sent to the original account holder."

"Are you transferring the device to another account under your same name? If so, Click here. If not, proceed to enter the new Transferee information below:
    Enter the following information for the person you are transferring this service to in the fields below. *Information is required in all fields.
    *First Name:
    *Last Name:
    *E-mail:
    *Re-enter E-mail:
    This authorization to transfer billing responsibility will only remain active for 14 days from the time the transfer is initiated. After 14 days, this authorization will become inactive."

"Tranfer of Liability

Authorization for transfer of billing responsibility is valid for 14 days. Financial responsibility will remain with the original account owner until the transfer of billing responsibility is complete. The account balance will NOT transfer to the new account owner. A credit evaluation is required for the receiving account holder. The receiving account holder must be 18 years of age. (Exceptions: Alabama resident receiving account holder must be 19 years of age and Puerto Rico resident receiving account holder must be 21 years of age.) The new account holder must accept the remaining contract term from the date the transfer takes place. The $18 transfer fee is waived for all transfers completed online.
    Once the transfer of billing responsibility is complete, the original account holder will receive a final (prorated) invoice. Any deposit will be released back to the open balance. The wireless number will now belong to the new account holder."

Obviously once the contract is under your name, you can change the minute plan and any thing else as you desire. There is no charge for any of that.

There is a transfer fee of $18 as well (unless we do it online as stated in the second large paragraph above), not sure if it counts if you have to go into the store even if I do my part online), I would be happy to cover that. I will also cover the charge to change the phone number.

And no worries, the data plan is not considered an "expired rate plan," as stated on the explaination page (http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...le=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB94738 ). I called AT&T Customer Service to confirm that question, and also to confirm that they are still offering the Transfer of Financial Responsibility.

I can be reached at 850-212-1953"

12. aaronk007 macrumors newbie

2 AT&T lines with Plan that has unlim. iPhone Data

I have 2 lines, one unlimited data with At&t and other doesn't even have the data plan. if somebody takes these line, can save on activation charges and early termination fee. i get 23% discount on voice and data plan(on one line), but not sure if its transferable.

still looking to take over lines? email me aaronk007@gmail.com

13. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker