For Fun: Names After Leopard?

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to call OS X after Leopard?
Would you stay with the same theme?
Or break out into a new type of animal?

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
How about a new type of animal I'm sick of the cats. Maybe OS 11 will be next to leave long and horny (that is Longhorn) in the dust.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I dont know about this, but I think it should be called OS Liger.

(but definitley not Tigon, because those smell like poo)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I think Apple needs to cash in with the teenage girl demographic and go with OS X Kitten. "It's cute and cuddly!"

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
G5Unit said:
Hey Mom! Can I go buy Mac OS Warthog!
[lame RvB reference]
"Why Warthog, sir?"
"Because 10.5 is too hard to say in conversation, son."
"I think it's more like a Puma."
"You're making that up. Unless anyone has any more mythical creatures to suggest as a name for the new OS, were gonna stick with Warthog."
"No sir, no more suggestions."
"MacOS Unicorn? MacOS Sasquatch? MacOS Chupathingy. How about that. It's got a ring to it."

If it weren't for the shoe company I do sort of like Puma, though.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
OSX-Ray. Compliment the BlueRay DVD market. Do stuff with stingrays, get Romano since he's unemployed now, and do some sound bites on "Everybody loves 'Ray' (gag); Turn 'Baby what I say?" loose with Mr. Charles; anything, just lose the cats already :cool:
X

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Future OS X Code Names

Has anyone else noticed that every odd version number of OS X (10.1 Puma, 10.3 Panther, and now 10.5 Leopard) is given a name that is a variant of the same species type of big cat?

That is very interesting to me. Seems the similar name "sameness" is purposeful. Whoever heads "the odd version team" must really like that family of big cat. Based on that, seems 10.7 might be Cougar (you heard it here first!) and 10.9 Mountain Lion (I hope not).

10.6 will probably be Lynx.

That leaves 10.8 for Lion, yet I think not. Many speculate on which version will be named Lion and make a big deal about the name Lion. I think Apple will not use the name Lion at all, for any version of OS X.

I wonder if 10.5 was originally to be named Cougar and then the Intel "switch" came down, so Apple "switched" names and chose the name Leopard, due to something about Leopards changing spots, and Apple changing CPUs. That would explain Jobs announcing the name of 10.5 and mentioning only the name.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
OS X 10.1 was Puma

Makosuke said:
[lame RvB reference]
"Why Warthog, sir?"
"Because 10.5 is too hard to say in conversation, son."
"I think it's more like a Puma."
<snip>
If it weren't for the shoe company I do sort of like Puma, though.
Umm, hmm, I hate to burst your bubble there, but you must have missed out; OS X 10.1 was Puma.

Apple's been there and done that.

Yet, Puma 2 or Puma ][ is possible.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Baby Phat iPod SE and Mac Mini SE with OS X Kitten

kgarner said:
I think Apple needs to cash in with the teenage girl demographic and go with OS X Kitten. "It's cute and cuddly!"
Hmm, a pink Baby Phat Mac Mini SE (with built-in iPod Dock) running OS X Kitten. With a complementing pink Baby Phat iPod SE to sit in the built-in iPod Dock of the pink Baby Phat Mac Mini SE.

Did I mention the Baby Phat SE items ought to be pink? Kimora Lee likes pink.

Apple goes back to colors and SE models, yet this time with a designer name and twist. So Ive, what do you think?