For Genius Bar screen replacements, what's the current procedure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sherifftruman, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I have a Shumuri thin case on the back and a glass protector on the front, but wouldn't you know it, my phone slipped out of my pocket on my patio and hit right on the bit of scree that is uncovered.

I will probably just go to the Genius Bar and pay the fee to have it fixed, but are they replacing the screens now or just swapping the phone? I'm Jailbroken and if there's a decent chance they will actually swap it I will go ahead and just jump to 8.3 before I am going so everything is easier.

2. sbuntin macrumors member

sbuntin

I managed to break my 6+ not too long after I got it. I had to leave it (PDX store) for an hour or so while they swapped the screen out. Not sure whether they'll balk at repairing a JB phone.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Most Apple stores can and will change out the screen. Took a couple of hours for my friends phone screen to get fixed. It was good as new!

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you'll have to revert to stock os for them to replace the display and calibrate it in their machine. and if you're jailbroken they won't just swap the whole thing for you also.

5. redpandadev macrumors member

Actually this is NOT what happened for me with a recent screen replacement. I went in with a Jailbroken phone, had the screen replaced and came out with a Jailbroken phone. Jailbreaking does not interfere with their calibration process because their calibration machine side-loads a special OS for diagnostics. The interesting part will be if you get a Genius that cares that the phone is Jailbroken (mileage will vary).

Also, during normal operations, all should be fine, however there is of course a risk. If for some reason their calibration machine can't boot the phone back out of their special boot loader, you'll be stuck having to restore - or if their machine is not working all together they may give you a swap. They'll always attempt a replacement first.

6. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

I had my screen replaced on my 6. They couldn't get the new screen to work with the phone, they tried more than one, so they gave me a new iPhone.

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

policy is to not service jailbroken phones until the person restores to factory os. you got someone who didn't care and could get in trouble for that.

8. Sherifftruman thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI, I went In yesterday for my appointment and they are no longer doing screens in the store. They have to send the phone off to have it done. They did give me a loaner, but of course I had to wipe my old phone and restore to the new one, so luckily I had gone ahead and restored to 8.3 and backed up before I went.