For heaven's sake- when do we get Notes synchronization?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmaxmedia, Jul 10, 2008.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It doesn't seem to be coming in 2.0, or 10.5.4, will we ever get synchronization of Notes? Or even just desktop access to backups?

I got around it by jailbreaking my iPod and using iPhoneNotes (which works pretty good actually!) But such a simple rudimentary feature, I don't know why Apple is sleeping on this.

I love the App Store, I love the apps that are already on there. But there are still a couple of rudimentary functions that I need that don't yet seem possible without jailbreaking.

It's not the end of the world. But it's such a simple thing, they already added Notes to Mail.app (heck, it even uses yellow ruled sheets, just like Notes.app!!) ;)

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, I do seem to remember some guy in blue jeans and a black turtleneck telling us at a conference last June that it would be coming in a new operating system. I think that it's called Leopard.

It's Apple, they don't ever live up to what they say. Since there's no way to do it on Windows, I think that they're probably holding off on it. Wouldn't want anyone to feel left out. :rolleyes:

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Been wondering this for a while. We have notes in mail and notes on the iPhone.

Would make logical sense for the two to sync.

4. sixmac macrumors member

i would love this feature, also i'm desperate to be able to do sub script in notes :confused:

5. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

A To Do list and syncing would also be nice. I like the feature in Mail but it is almost useless to me since I am not at my home computer for most of the day.

6. slappy sam macrumors member

I want a new app, tasks, just a simple one like outlook. Then I'd like tasks and notes to sync with outlook 07. I don't understand whats so hard about making this happen.

Why can't notes sync with windows? Calendar, contacts, etc all sync with microsoft outlook on windows, why couldn't notes? My old pocket pc could do it.

7. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

It's obviously low on their priority list, a list which is not on their iPhone since they don't have a tasklist program either. ;)

With the App Store, there have already been a few task programs released, from free to fully-featured (OmniFocus.) So I think that area will at least be adequately covered.

But sooner or later some sorts of Notes sync has got to be coming, right? :rolleyes:

8. slappy sam macrumors member

The main reason I am excited for the app store is exactly this reason - tasks. And AIM. :)

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It's probably because His Steveness doesn't need a task/to do list on his iPhone; he's got a couple of vice presidents and a cadre of (living) personal assistants to do that for him.

I also wonder if he hates PDA functions since Scully was the one responsible for it (i.e, the Newton)?

10. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Or maybe Steve set up a note on his iPhone to remind him to do note/task syncing in 2.0 but then forgot it because it didn't sync?

So can anyone tell me a way of transferring my Outlook 2007 notes onto my iPhone?

11. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

I did find an app called PhoneView that allows access to Notes from a Mac. It's $20, but also allows you to drag and drop from Notes to plain text files.

If you can export your Outlook notes into text files, then you could copy them onto an iPod with this program. I have no idea whether you have Mac or PC (or hopefully have access to both.)

12. cuanurse macrumors regular

There is a to do list app (that is free) that you may like.

13. Mixalis macrumors newbie

Mixalis

I totally agree that Notes synchronisation is long overdue and I cannot understand why it is still missing. Nor, for that matter, can I understand the lack of cut and paste. This is a basic utility that has been available on Palms and PDAs since the typewriter met its doom.

I've purchased about ten business-orientated apps, including the wonderful OmniFocus which does enable notes synchronisation, but I cannot find any sign of a word processor or text editor for the iPhone/Touch. I see one outliner, though.

14. aft macrumors regular

I disagree on the taskes being adequately covered. For a lot of people it is useless without syncing to Outlook. I get tasks assigned to me by others in my company, having to reenter all of those tasks into my phone lasted about a week before I just gave up with tasks on my iPhone. So far this is my single complaint about the phone.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah....

Well, thankfully the iPhone isn't catering to corporate customers. I'd hope that Outlook would be much further down the list than syncing notes and cut and paste.