Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I remember reading somewhere that on average, due to Apple's efficient supply chain management, iPhones often spend a relatively short time in a box before being sold to customers. I bought a new iPhone SE3 approx 11 days ago, but I haven't had time to open it because I've been busy. I was planning to open it today, but I started wondering if the battery might have completely drained and if that could be bad for the battery. Or is 11 days such a short time that I shouldn’t worry? I even thought about returning it and buying another one just like it to open it immediately, but that seems a bit silly. What do you think?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^This.

I keep my old SE 2020 sitting in a drawer for a "just in case" phone (ie. something to use while I order, make the 20min drive to Apple, pickup, setup) and that has been holding at about 75-80% charge. The occasional software update via Mac tops off the battery enough to keep it stable. Only turn it on about once a month to do a Coconut Battery check on it.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, it’s not a matter of weeks or single-digit months that’d cause damage from disuse. It’d be well over a year, so the at-risk items would be “new old-stock” iPhone 13s for example.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Back in 2013, my wife's iPhone 5 was purchased in August. According to its serial, that was about one year after it had been made. Powered up fine, was used as a primary phone by my wife until late 2015 and then passed on to my daughter some time in 2018.

I don't expect new phones to have battery issues, even if they sit for that long. I do expect to get phone that have sat a while though as we purchase the max capacity when we buy new phones. Since those are more expensive, they sit longer until sold.

Your 64, 128 and 256GB phones don't sit very long.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I picked up an 8+ years ago as an upgrade, store still had a 256GB Product Red in stock well after they'd been discontinued. It still had charge despite being over six months old, and the battery aged fine over the 20ish months I used it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iPhones rarely sit around for long, unsold. Demand is off-the-charts all months of every year.
That is true, but I would say that the lower capacity models sell the fastest. Most cellphone carriers in the US do not even stock the higher capacity models - they have to be ordered. Why? Because despite 'Demand is off-the-charts all months of every year', not enough are sold to justify having them in stock.

Size and model also factors in I think as to what sells faster. I imagine the Pro sells faster than the Pro Max, while other models sell faster than both of those.

Bought a 128GB 6 Plus in 2015. Had to be ordered. Bought a 128GB 6S Plus in 2015, had to be ordered. Bought a 512GB 11 Pro Max (my current phone) in February 2021. Had to be ordered. My carrier did not keep those phones in stock because they would not sell fast enough to justify the shelf space they took up in the back.

So, my point is that you're right - there is demand. It's just that some phones DO sit around for longer periods. Even if those periods might be a shorter amount of time than Apple's competitors.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
That is true, but I would say that the lower capacity models sell the fastest. Most cellphone carriers in the US do not even stock the higher capacity models - they have to be ordered. Why? Because despite 'Demand is off-the-charts all months of every year', not enough are sold to justify having them in stock.

Stocking levels are a complicated algorithm. You never want to stock for peak demand because then you have excess stock sitting around, and that costs money. You also have variable demand by location to take into account. Colors add another variable. So it becomes a case of predicting demand based on sales and trends.

Some models will sell at relatively high rates so you can stock more, and may show less variability than higher priced models. For models with more variability and lower sell rates, central stocking and shipping makes sense because you can keep fewer in stock overall and the demand variations will level out.

So, my point is that you're right - there is demand. It's just that some phones DO sit around for longer periods. Even if those periods might be a shorter amount of time than Apple's competitors.

Probably, but with good planning you won't have very long self times for any products.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Probably, but with good planning you won't have very long self times for any products.
Yes, but having to plan means that there is a variable demand. For the iPhone, color, price, capacity, model, etc all contribute to the level/frequency of that demand. But I feel that the user I quoted doesn't take variable demand into account. Just because it's an iPhone.

It's a mic drop with no nuance.

Reactions: jlc1978

urbanman2004

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2013
I remember reading somewhere that on average, due to Apple's efficient supply chain management, iPhones often spend a relatively short time in a box before being sold to customers. I bought a new iPhone SE3 approx 11 days ago, but I haven't had time to open it because I've been busy. I was planning to open it today, but I started wondering if the battery might have completely drained and if that could be bad for the battery. Or is 11 days such a short time that I shouldn’t worry? I even thought about returning it and buying another one just like it to open it immediately, but that seems a bit silly. What do you think?
I had bought myself an iPhone SE3 from Walmart last year when they went on sale through Straight Talk some time before BF. To my surprise when trying to activate it, it still had a 3/4 charge left on the battery.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
If you're interested, contact Apple Support and they will tell you the date of manufacture.

There was a website that did this using your serial number, but it wasn't working the last time I checked.

IMG_0643.jpeg

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
There was a website that did this using your serial number, but it wasn't working the last time I checked.
Because Apple has moved to random serial numbers, so the old formula no longer works.

EDIT: and even when the formula sorta worked, not always accurate. Recall threads here where s/n of iPhones showing manufactured at Fountain, Colorado plant, which never made phones since closed in 90s (let alone no iPhones made in US).

Last edited:
Reactions: Helmsley

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
My iPhone 15PM battery was manufactured July 23, so I assume it sat in a box until launch day. Came 60% charged out the box

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
15 pro - made in april, bought in may or 1 month later. According to coconut battery and iOS battery section.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Sorry but that's very silly indeed.

Open it, use it, and don't give the battery a second thought!

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen posted in a forum

Reactions: maerz001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.