For me, AutoSpell Has Lost Its Mind!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iPadPublisher, Apr 28, 2014.

1. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

I don't know if its iOS7 specific or not, but recently AutoSpell/AutoCorrect has lost its mind.

It used to be that it learned my quirky words and spelling of things. For example, I often hit people with Howzit, as in "Hows it going" or, annoyingly enough, I like to type Okaye instead of Okay. It learned, and then sometimes would even suggest my cooky spelling of things from time to time.

Now, it chokes on all my "custom" words, but also adds weird stuff to things. For example, I recently typed "This is for the Hot Zone" and it changed itt to "This is for the Hot a Zone" inserting the A. Oddly, it does that on quite a few things. "Do you want Starbucks" because "Do you a want Starbucks" etc. So weird!

It also now corrects perfectly spelled words. "Do you want a drink" might become "Do you want a dream" which makes far less sense, and is annoying as hell considering I typed drink correctly to begin with.

These are just some of the many examples. I run into several issues a day. I recently reset my dictionary hoping to see it fix all this, and it appears not to have changed a thing.

Anyone else in this boat?

2. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

It happens to me with apostrophes all the time. I type something like "It's all" and it ends up being "It' small". But I haven't had anything like what you described.

3. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Yeah. I initially thought it was just me but it's definitely gotten worse. It corrects words that are spelled correctly to words that don't make sense in that sentence. The thing that doesn't make sense is...how did it become so terrible? It was decent in iOS 6, now it's become the opposite. Why on earth did the spelling/dictionary have to change.

4. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

And more specifically, WHAT in fact did they change that its logic is so crapped out now? I thought resetting the dictionary would help, but really it hasn't.

Glad to see I'm not along, though!

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

"I'm not along" Is this another of your strange expressions? ;)

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It makes no ducking sense.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

For once I have to agree with something negative about iOS. For me the auto correct sometimes will make a suggestion in another language :confused:

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Autocorrect always wants to change things ending in 's to 'a. Every time.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It always wants to add 's for me. And gave to have. Oh, and it loves to select o for i whenever I'm typing words fast. It couldn't spell civic last night to save it's life.

It seems like with each update it gets worse. iOS 6 was pretty good about figuring out what I wanted to say. 7.0 was ok, but 7.1 has been awkward.

11. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

How can that be bad?? It's teaching you foreign language for free......:D

12. kolax macrumors G3

Autocorrect drives me mad when it changes correctly spelt words to something else, and when I go back and re-type it, it changes it again!

13. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I hate that. I have to find a workaround whenever it does that.

14. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Do you write in multiple languages ? I do , both in French and English and my autocorrect was going mad !

My daughter gave me a very simple solution , which is to have two keyboards .
    So now , when I write in French , I use one and the other for English . Since then I haven't had any issues with autocorrect .

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not but I thought I'd post this tip ,just in case it might help someone .