FOR MUSICIANS: 13" c2d 2,66 or 15" i5 2,40??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrezuppe, Apr 19, 2010.

1. andrezuppe macrumors member

Hi guys, I'm new, but I've silently followed for a long time the entire old tread "I'm waiting for an Arrendale...". ;)
    After years of PC I wanna do the big step and finally buy a MBP, to create music with it. I waited with all my patience for an upgrade of MBP, because I wanted to buy a 13", since I desire portability - at home i would connect it to my 22" lcd (and also because the old 13" and the old base 15" were very similar in performances..).

My doubt is this:
    I would use my MBP ONLY to create music, so expecially working with LOGIC STUDIO 9 (I have to buy it) and for using it, (possibly Live) with my Guitar Rig 4 Pro.
    I knew that some audio apps, like Guitar Rig, doesen't support HT, so, I suppose, that apps wouldn't use this kind of feature on "core i5", and maybe it could be not so useful. Or am I wrong?
    How does Logic Pro behave with HT Technology? Is i5 HT fully supported in audio apps like Logic Pro, or if I buy an i5 I will not benefit of this feature for my use?
    I'm reading benchmarks about performaces of 2,4ghz core i5 in games, video, graphics apps.. but I've never read about it's behavior inside audio applications compared with a c2d.

Ok, i5 has got turbo boost that brings it up to 2,9ghz, and has dedicated video memory ( i wouldn't mind, because i'm not planning to use MBP for video/gaming), but if HT doesn't make difference in audio apps,I think a C2D 2,66ghz could have similar performances and above all i could save € 300 going on a more portable 13"...

I am curious to have some advices from you musician... and please tell me, IF, and WHERE I'm wrong guys...
    Thanks to all,

Bye :)

Andrea from Italy

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

People have recorded whole albums on far lesser machines than the 13" MBP. That said, you might like editing on the 15" more because of its higher resolution. 1280x800 can be a bit cramped. Otherwise the 13" should perform just fine. I don't use Logic but have had no trouble running Guitar Rig 4 on my previous gen 2.26 GHz 13" MBP.

3. andrezuppe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks kasakka for you replay :)
    In order to editing I would connect my MBP to external lcd... ;)
    I'm curios to know about Logic Pro 9 cpu's eating between 2,66 c2d and 2,4 corei5......
    Bye,
    Andrea

4. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

For your uses you wont see much improvement for the extra $300
    base 13" should be plenty of power for your needs. only reason to go 15" would be for resolution issues.

5. xchokex macrumors newbie

I bought the 15'' and I am waiting for it.
    I think the 15'' with the hi res screen is best for working with Logic.
    I think you won't notice any difference between those cpu's but it's still better to have the better performance ;) and especially if you are working with many tracks the 15'' is more appropriate. It's so annoying to scroll through the tracks with a 13''

Greetings choke

6. Arie macrumors member

I was sort of in the same boat. I wanted to order the new MacBook Pro for both work as well as music creation. The 13" model is portable and when at home I could connect it to an external display, but I use my current 15" laptop on the road a lot, also for music creation and I believe that the 13" screen would simply be too small for my needs. I have ordered a 15" base model this afternoon, with a hi-res antiglare screen. My current 15" laptop has the same resolution and I know that it offers me enough screen to work with. I do not use Logic myself, but Ableton Live, but the more I can see on my screen, the easier it is to create my music. I want to make music and not scroll all the time. Good luck with making a choice.

7. andrezuppe thread starter macrumors member

logic 9 screenshot 1280x800

Thanks to all guys...
    Is there any kind soul that could post some screenshot of Logic 9 @ 1280 x 800 resolution?
    Thanks, bye :)
    Andrea

8. bluetick macrumors member

AFAIK Logic 9 is optimized for 64bit and multi-threading. Generally, you'll want as much RAM and CPU as you can, since all those VSTi's and FX tend to eat it pretty fast.

9. bafonso macrumors member

The c2d will be fine for most plugins unless you want to get into heavy synths, emulators, etc.

As far as monitor real estate, I would never get the 13" for logic work but depends how serious you are about it. The 15" high res is the perfect screen to get for mobile music work I feel.

10. RhymesWithSeven macrumors newbie

The main question is this:

I know you want to do "music", but what kind? Audio recording only? If so, then any new machine will do you well.

But if you want to start adding plugins (software synths, guitar amp emulators, dynamic processing, etc.), you'll be in risk of tapping out your CPU pretty quickly.

As far as screen real estate (size), if you're hooking up to external monitor, then focus on the processor and RAM.

I've got a 15" MBP, but have it hooked up to a 21" monitor at work and a 23" monitor at home - each one was under $200 US. You don't need to worry about Cinema displays and fancy screens to edit waveforms :)

11. andrezuppe thread starter macrumors member

My goal would be using it on the road (little audio recordings/using guitar rig 4 live) but also at home (I have a 22" Philips lcd 1680 x 1050 which is think it will be good enough for Logic).
    I do expecially my personal home recordings.
    I come from a lot of work I made with my old WindowsXp Pentium 4 - 3,2ghz notebok with 1gb ram, using Logic Platinum 5.
    I create my music almost using 5-10 synths, audio drum kits that I've created by myself for exs24, some audio guitar tracks (using guitar rig 4) and some vocals..
    I also love to create dance tracks only based with synts and a few vocals...
    Remember that I were able to do these things with an old Pentium 4 on windows, without almost ever crashing my system.... :)
    Thanks again to all for your advices, bye :)
    Andrea