For my needs, iPhone 2G still has some life in it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barryst, Apr 24, 2009.

1. barryst macrumors regular

Hey i was looking at getting a used 2G and was wondering if its still gonna be well supported for the next little while.

For me, I don't need 3G or GPS (although a nice luxury).

My only concern is if its no longer gonna be updated, etc in a few months or something.

Thanks in advance.

2. DrCheese macrumors member

It's fine don't worry. The new iphone 3.0 OS out in June/July will install on your 2g, but you won't get MMS or bluetooth tethering.

Remember, Apple makes a fortune via the appstore so it makes financial sense to continue to support older devices for a while yet.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The orginal iPhone is almost identical to the iPhone 3G as far as RAM, CPU, Camera and software. The only thing different about them is that the original iPhone can't do A2DP or MMS (until hackers figure it out anyway) due to a hardware limitation (says Apple... but, Apple also says it can't record video... hehe). The original iPhone will last for a long time I believe. As long as the OS is compatible with the iPhone 3G, it will be compatible with the original iPhone.

4. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Yeah, it should be good. It'll still be updated

5. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

It better be useful! Its not even two years old and is still revolutionary compared to most the new offerings on the market today.