For now and for the future, video-focused creative station

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apocheir, Sep 19, 2008.

1. apocheir macrumors newbie

Right now I work with 8-core Mac Pros at work, but at home I'm stuck with a P4 2.53 Ghz PC.

Having recently graduated from college as a broadcast journalism major, at this point in time I'm choosing to chase a career in video production. I have access to HD cameras and nice video equipment, and I intend to buy a decent prosumer level camera at some point in the next year.

Before I have the camera, I'd like to have the computer. I'd like to make the computer purchase within the next few months, perhaps before new years but I could possibly wait until after January.

Here are the conclusions I've come to:

1) For professional editing, Mac is a necessity unless you can afford an Avid station, and even then FCS would better for me because I could use it both at home and at work.
    2) I intend to work on projects that are large enough to make the iMac a non-option, plus I hate the fact that an iMac can't be upgraded.
    3) I'd have to buy a very basic mac pro system and expand it rather than buy big from the apple store.

So I'd like to get a Mac Pro, but I have some concerns before I take the plunge on such an expensive system.

1) Does the single processor Mac Pro quad still have the second socket for future expandability, making the Mac Pro quad still have the potential to become an eight-core machine?
    2) What changes are likely in the next update of the Mac Pro? Would they be significant enough that a current generation Mac Pro couldn't be simply beefed up a little bit to match it? Is there any information on whether they will continue to use Xeon processors?

I don't know whether I should wait or just do the damn thing. Last time I bought something, I bought an iBook just a month or less before they switched to Intel. I almost cried. I want to make sure something like this doesn't happen again with a bigger more expensive system.

Any advice on buying a cost-effective creative workstation and when to do it would be appreciated.

Also any advice on starting out in the industry would be great, if there are people around here with experience. I work for a small production company doing weddings, commercials, other small-scale local gigs. I'd like to get into the entertainment side of things, or documentaries (that's as close to news as I'll get.) What's the best way to get from point A to point B.