For one hour all emails vanish

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevs1, Jun 2, 2016.

1. kevs1 macrumors regular

Today, from 11am to noon, I sent about 5 emails in Apple mail, then noticed they were not in sent folder. I saw a progress bar saying trying to send 5 emails. They all vanished.

The program started working again fine. Nothing came in or left for that hour. I have no idea if I missed anything.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

Check the main MR Mac News forum, about services being down for some users. The last post in the thread at this writing indicated Mail was down for that member. You're not alone...

3. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks camp, I've never visited there before and it's crowded! If you find the link, please let us know.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

The Apple-hosted web page is here: http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Keep in mind that it's not always up-to-the minute accurate. My first check is to downdetector (http://downdetector.com) - the higher up on the home page, the more issues the company is having at that time FWIW, based on Twitter and Facebook comments - and never mind all of the "pictures" in that you can text search for a site on their home page, such as "Apple" or "Google" or "Comcast", so you don't have to hunt for a company's logo. Cheers!

5. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks CAmp, nice link, never seen that before. I don't think it was Apple actually, but who knows? My email is on a server that is not apple, but I use apple mail. What could it have been? What does downdetector do? I went to the site but it was confusing.

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

The quick-and-dirty bit IMHO is that Apple has had problems with one of its data hosts - Amazon AWS. I've used AWS, Apple uses AWS, MS uses AWS, Netflix uses AWS, and Amazon Prime (video/music) uses AWS - but only Amazon Prime seems to never have problems...

Apple was recently tied to moving to Google Cloud (http://www.businessinsider.com/google-nabs-apple-as-a-cloud-customer-2016-3), there's plenty of links out there that show MS's Outlook Cloud Services moving to Azure from AWS, and I've moved my cloud services from AWS to Azure and Office 365.

My Exchange cloud servers and email servers were hosted on AWS, along with my Outlook.com accounts - now that they're over on Azure all of my outage and downtime "issues" are done. I'm guessing that other companies are moving away from AWS because of these hiccups and outages - I'm smaller and more nimble than Apple, but I'm also guessing that they've had enough of Amazon's excuses (too?). I love Prime, but I'm not fond of AWS at this point.

As to downdetector.com - head to the home page, as I do when I suspect there's an issue with one of my cloud services. The companies nearer the top of the home page tend to be having current issues - right now, Cricket Wireless is in the top row and they've gone from "no reports" about 90 minutes ago to "12000 reports" now of outages just from performing a mouse-over of the graph on the report page - as you'd scroll down the reports page you'll see input from Cricket's Twitter feed and Facebook page. In other words, you'll see iCloud near the top of downdetector's home page is iCloud was experiencing issues. Click on any of the company logos and you'll see additional detail of what a company is experiencing, in real time...