For Penryn MBP owners: How do you see this video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lordthistle, Jul 26, 2008.

1. lordthistle macrumors 6502

** FOR PENRYN MBP OWNERS WITH NVIDIA CARDS **

Please watch this video:

video.

How do you see it?

In my case, the video is corrupted by big white areas continuously appearing. It is almost "flashing".

Since I condider impossible that Apple has not yet produced a set of drivers capable of playing a video, I think that my Penryn MBP has some hardware problem.

Please be sincere. Do not say that the video is good if it's not.

Thanks a lot.

thistle

2. Yixian macrumors 65816

I know you're looking for 8600M GT owners but for comparison, on my X1600 MBP it's fine, no flashes or anything like that.

3. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it's fine. I can watch it on my 2003 Toshiba with a 32MB Geforce4 MX card without a single glitch. Even a Macbook, both with GMA950 and X3100, can play that video without problems.

I explicitly asked to Penryn owners.

So thanks for your time, but, for the others, PLEASE avoid replying that you can watch it with different hardware. It's nothing to be proud of, it is as it should be :(

thistle

4. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

My GPU is GeForce 8600M GT / 256MB Vram (Feb08 MBP).

I watched the first 2.5 minutes of it and a few minutes towards the end, and apart from the somewhat low quality (pixelation), it played fine.

5. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I do not know all the models produced with a nVidia card: is your MBP a Penryn-based one?

Have you ever experienced different kinds of graphics corruption? Like duplicated text lines while scrolling.

Thanks.
    thistle

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Both the Santa Rosa Merom, and Santa Rosa Penryn both use the same 8600GT video card.

7. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Since my MBP is of the recent revision, I'd say it's Penryn. I have experienced video corruption a couple of times in this machine. The most severe one is documented here.

8. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

I have had that kind of corruption several times, but in that case I am quite confident it is a software problem (I think it's because GPUs have no memory protection mechanisms). I have documented the same corruption in another thread started by me.

Anyway, If you can watch that video without problems, I have a problem. Did you watch it in a maximized (large) window? In my case there are less glitches if the window is smal.

thistle

9. toples50 macrumors newbie

My Penryn MacBook Pro plays it perfect without glitches or pixels!

10. Mirrorball macrumors member

I see glitches too, white areas that appear from time to time.

11. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Here's a screen-shot I grabbed from the full screen playback, you can see the pixelization of the image. I think it's has more to do with the video stream's quality than with the graphics card.

Attached Files:

12. James17 macrumors 6502

Plays fine on Penryn 2.4GHz Macbook Pro with NVIDIA 8600GT 256MB. Only issue is quality of video.

Attached Files:

13. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Looks fine over here.

2.5 penryn.

Attached Files:

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      File size:
      70.2 KB
      Views:
  14. 514Mac macrumors newbie

lordthistle,

I have a Penryn MBP and I'm seeing the white glitches too. I tried taking a screenshot of it, but everytime I snap the pic I just miss the glitch.

I even noticed MySpace music players don't show on my computer and I have the latest update of Safari and Flash Player.

Is there a reason why the video shows like that for some of us and any solution to it? I just bought my MBP about 2 months ago, so I'm trying to field out any issues with it now.

15. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

I have prepared a video showing what I am speaking about.

Watch what I see.

(It has been accelerated by the youtube processing engine, I recorded it at normal speed).

I hope other Penryn owners will contribute to this post. If it's true that other owners do not have any problem, then it can only be hardware related.

My MBP has already gone twice for repair (screen, dark stripes). Twice they made the "hardware test", with 100% success rate. So should these hraphics performance be considered normal? (And I avoid speaking about the bad sound, the popping, etc).

UPDATE
    I made a reboot and the same video is without glitches. 514Mac, can you do the same thing? Reboot and, without doing anything else, watch that video. May be it's caused by the lousy implementation of nVidia specs by Apple.

thistle

16. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

penny user here...

It plays 100% fine in Firefox, while i get the white squares in safari.

What does that mean? Its a software glitch. 8600 has no trouble with it.

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Its software related, not hardware. Try watching it in a different browser.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks good. Compared to the original it looks crappy, but it's still playable nonetheless.

19. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

Yeah, works fine for me as well. on my mbp with the 8600... hmm... try instaling perian? (although I doubt that has anything to do with google video. does flash use external codecs? idk. lol worth a try I spose?)

ooo XD I should have read the rest first, yeah I'm using camino... *tries in safari* erm, oddly enough it works fine in safari for me as well. haha

20. 514Mac macrumors newbie

Just rebooted and it works fine now lol. Good thing too because even images were loading in odd segments before but are back to normal now.

Thanks thistle!

@noodle654 - I tried in Firefox and Safari. It was showing up the same way in both browsers; the restart fixed it up though.

21. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

As I said, after a reboot is fine. When it wasn't fine, it was bad BOTH in Safari and in Firefox. I didn't try any other browser.

thistle

22. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Works fine on my 2.4 Penyrn. Just bad video quality.

23. gr8bob macrumors regular

I'm gonna try it tomorrow the first thing I got back to my MBP.. currently out with my Eee at the moment..

24. squaros macrumors member

My 2.5 has exactly the same issue. It doesn't just happen on a specific video though, it happens on all video i try to watch whether it be a dvd or web based. It also happens in both Safari and Firefox. It doesn't happen very often, I'd say about twice a month... but it's enough to be frustrating nonetheless.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The video, while grainy due to its quality, shows fine on my MBP. The only flashing I see is the intermittent flash of people in the audience taking pictures of the speaker. Surely, that's not what you're referring to. I don't see any other effects that would indicate a problem with the video or the processing of the graphics.

Edit:
    I missed your video in my first post. Yes, I see the "flashing" you're talking about. No, I didn't see any of that while watching the video itself on Safari. In fact, I've never seen such an effect on anything I've watched on my MBP.

By the way, it's not a Penryn issue. Penryn is the Intel processor, which is the CPU and is not responsible for video processing. The GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, which, as stated before, appears in all MBPs since mid 2007 with both Merom and Penryn processors.