For people asking about what earphone to get.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RebeccaL, Jan 24, 2011.

1. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I have seen many threads popping up asking what are the best earphones or from people deciding between two or more earphones.

Here is an ongoing mega-review from Head-Fi that covers more than 130 different models sorted by price range. It helped me when I was deciding (I went with the Meelectronics M9 and love them).

Hope this review help you guys:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...36-iems-compared-hippo-boom-pearl-added-01-22

2. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

<----am HUGE head-fier =)

just let me tell you now....sorry for whats about to happen to your wallet =)

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Haha yeah im already over the 400£ mark:p

4. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

i hit the $4k mark not to long ago with all my gear...

do the meets to...tons of fun.

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Damn 4k :eek: I Have only bought some ie8's and a sony mp3 player so far :eek:

6. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

god i wish thats all for me too, dont go to head fi unless you want to spend, it will get you in the end. :D:D:D

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Im looking for a portable amp next for the ie8's any suggestions?

8. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

huge huge fan of Headamp ....i would look at a Pico (or a slim if you can afford it). Its a great amp and the owner Justin is a awesome guy..hang out with him a lot at the meets.

9. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if there's a trustable place for refurb ADDIEMs?

10. genetic macrumors 6502

the Audio-Technica ATH-CK10's look excellent but they are discontinued? whats the newest version of these ear phones? just for ***** i searched CK11 but got nothing. although i can still get the CK10's, i wouldnt mind grabbing the newest version, if they actually exist. :confused:

11. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

Audio technica hasn't made a new high end BA phone since the CK100. you can't really call the CK90 a replacement because it isn't as good and has a completely different sound signature.

The CK10 and CK100 isn't discontinued, they're just limiting their stock to Japan. so AT USA won't be able to get shipments for suppliers in the states or elsewhere. If you can't tell, I'm a huge AT fan. My CK10s are my prized possession and I bought them for $180. haha. I could probably resell them for $100 profit, but then I'd miss them too much.

Also, Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet.

as for portable amps, the Fiio e7 is pretty solid, and cheap at $99. you can pair it with the $130 e9 and get a reputable desktop amp that can drive even the AKG K701's without any problems.

12. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Thanks for the amp tip i dont want to spend too much initially so i will give this some research.

13. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Just saw a the yet unrealesed Meelectronics CC51. Look a lot like Apple's in ear phone but more dynamic range and made out of ceramic. I am just wating for a review of those babies :D.

Definitely Head-Fi, specially Jocker's reviews, will consume your wallet in a good way.

14. genetic macrumors 6502

i guess i should take this as "if you arent an idiot go buy some ck10's" :p

15. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

not really. they aren't for every one. it depends on what type of music you like and what kind of headphone you're looking for. these aren't the type of IEMs to sit back and "enjoy" the music with. they don't smooth over everyone and hide the problems with the recording you have. they're very detail oriented and you'll hear everything in the music the way it was played in the recording studio or where it was recorded. they're classified as "analytical" type IEMs, whereas something like the Klipsch s4 (which i also owned) are "musical enjoyment" IEMs.

for me personally, I very much enjoy music with female vocals and trance/techno, so mids and highs need to be accurate and forward. in this case, the highs of the CK10 are regarded as one of the best you can buy in an universal IEM, and the bass is tight and detailed, so those super fast bass lines in techno can be individually heard.

there's a thread on the CK10s in the portable section of Head-Fi that details it a lot more. a good chunk of it is me trying to find a pair of these last year around this time.. haha.

16. boyin macrumors newbie

on the earphone topic,

can anyone recommend a 3.5mm plug that is more case friendly, similar to the recessed iphone 2g problem, the original plug on my earphones are too big for most cases

17. genetic macrumors 6502

would you be able to recommend a good set of earphones just for all around listening? maybe in the $100-150 range? i currently own the etymotic er6i's which i absolutely love, i was thinking maybe to get a different pair this time.

18. SoundWagon macrumors member

SoundWagon

19. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

haha, i just realized you just looked at Joker's chart and got interested in the CK10s since they're on top. from what people say, the Fischer Audio DBA02 is a good replacement for the CK10s, as are the Klipsch Custom 3s. They're a little more fragile, but i hear the sound is good. The DBA02s have slightly more bass and are a bit more relaxed than the analytical CK10. strangely enough, there has a been a resurgence of people buying the CK10 via import, which is always a good thing, because then more people can get their own slice of audio heaven.

20. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Does anyone has info on th eMeelectronics CC51 yet?

I am waiting for Joker's review.

21. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    hi there is there any review like that but not for in ear earphone ?
    i dont like those noise insulating earphone , casue when i wore them i can "hear" myself like when i walking the cable touches my shirt, i kind of can hear the noise.
    so i preffer those normal ear phone type
    like the one that apple supplied with the iphone,
    currently i use this audio technica ATH-CM700Ti
    http://www.audio-technica.com.sg/con_product.php?prodid=56

sounds great and quite comfortable, but i dont like the wireing cause its not standard "y" type like apple original.

so can anyone gimme the link to a review that comparing those type of earphone ?

prefferably those wth built in mic as well :p

22. genetic, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

genetic macrumors 6502

theres just way too many earphones to choose from. i guess really the only preference i have is for them to have an i-plug (dont ask why, lol ) and for them to be black. i own the white er6i's and they got really dirty. i just want some excellent all around "musical enjoyment" earphones, lol. like i said, my budget is $100-150. :confused:

23. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I have only seen reviews like that only for in-ear and Cans. Looks like audiophiles only like those types of phones. Most of them say that earbuds do not produce enough bass.

24. genetic macrumors 6502

so ive been looking around and have narrowed it down to 3 different earphones. the Ultimate Ears UE700, Fischer Audio DBA-02, and the Jays Q-jays. does anyone have an experience with any of these? or maybe could tell me the better set between the 3? i dont have any specific genre i listen to so im just looking for something that sounds great overall. im looking for a set thats comfortable, sounds excellent, and has great isolation. id say comfort/sound over isolation. my current earphones are the etymotic er6i's so im looking for a nice upgrade. thanks fellas