For people who have had a replacement, does this warrant one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Nov 10, 2009.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Hi there, Have posted recently about my repair woes (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=815993):

Just to summarise, faulty airport card, logged with AppleCare, took it into an Apple authorised service centre.

They had it 20 days and replaced the airport, logic board and display. Got it back and it wasn't charging. Took it back in again. They had it 17 days and replaced the battery and MagSafe DC in board.

Got it back and now the fans run at full speed, failed the Apple hardware test with the result indicating that the sensors on the logic board have failed. Also the backlight on the keyboard doesn't work.

Called Apple last night and was on the phone for an hour. Advised that I felt that 37 days worth of repair on a unit and come back with new problems each time, and that is just over 6 months old and cost £1300 was completely unacceptable, to have to have a repair again would be adding insult to injury. I use my MBP for personal use and work and I can't afford to be without it for even longer.

I said that I want a replacement. The customer service rep said they would prefer to have it repaired again, which I replied that I was not happy about that.

She said that she'll investigate the matter and contact the service centre to verify what I have told them. She's going to contact me tomorrow to let me know the verdict.

So if you have had a replacement what do you reckon their decision might be? I certainly think I have a valid case and haven't requested a replacement until after these 2 repairs.

One of the main reasons I went for an Apple (aside from really liking OS X from using my mates), was the reputation they have for high build quality and excellent customer service. If I'm forced into having another repair then I'll certainly fell this is not the case and this will be my first and last Mac purchase.

I'd really appreciate people's input who have had similar experiences.

Thanks in advance.

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It sounds to me that Apple did attempt to fix the computer but their efforts have certainly made things worse. It is probably 50/50 that they will replace the machine now but Apple should do so if they don't fix these issues quickly. Yes, they took a long time to complete their repairs but that alone does not call for a replacement.

If you cannot be without a machine then you need to have a backup. If you really need a computer day in and day out, it is your responsibility. I had my local Apple Store take 13 days to replace a hard drive under warranty. I understand how frustrating it is to be without your computer but no warranty will cover a machine while it is being serviced.

3. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I think this warrants a replacement. I would def try to get a replacement.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

asked to be kicked up higher

And dont lose your cool.

Be calm and collected, and definately ask if you can get the entire MBP replaced.

5. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Can see your point but I'm not asking for a loan, just a computer that is working, two linked repairs where they both come back with new repairs is a joke. If the engineers had done their job properly either time then I wouldn't be in this situation, it works out to about 20% of the time I've owned it, it's been in a workshop being repaired.

The Sales of Goods act states repairs must be done in a reasonable amount of time and not cause any major inconvenience. It's certainly gone past that.

Where I work we have to replace a laptop or desktop under 1st year if repairs or a succession of repairs due to the previous ones takes over 28 days. If it had come back in full working order after the second repair I would have settled with that and not taken it any further, however the unit is still not fit for purpose.

6. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Good luck...it is entirely up to the whim of whatever person ends up handling your case at the highest level...get a twat like I did and you are screwed...get a cool, sympathetic person and get a brand new model.

A few days ago I was singing the praises of Apple products and their service as while the calls I made didn't fix my issue (unfixable over the phone) the techs were very cool and efficient. Once it got escalated I got some prick with an attitude who had decided from the get go he wasn't helping. I don't have the desire to write Steve Jobs or spend anymore time on hold. I will write it off to experience and never buy anymore crap from Apple as the premium isn't worth it when the hardware isn't anymore reliable than the rest and the service is just as inconsistent and unreliable. I am also going to cyber donkey punch the next whiner who says "should I take this brand new high end MBP as a replacement for my 1997 ibook?" ;) Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...some of us can't get ANY help so be glad when you get it easy.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i would demand replacement of the unit,

nothing less, you cannot be expected to "have" a backup, thats unreasonable you bought the laptop to use, not to be in repair.

i would demand a replacement , your right thinking you deserve one, you do.

8. Albal macrumors member

I don't think this is a concrete rule but seems to be something that has applied to me: 3 times in to repair = replacement unit.

I had an experience; 1st problem was a hinge issue which was fixed. They replaced the whole lot no problems but the screen they replaced it with developed a lot of dead pixles - the second issue. They replaced it again no problem the same day I brought the computer into the store. A week or so after that the airport was intermittent. All the opening up of the computer and tampering had obviously damaged something. I took it in the for the third time and after some gentle persuasion and a final threat of 'I want my money back' they replaced the whole unit.

Very please overall. You've got to be polite, persistent and not leave until you have what you want.

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Doesn't always work. I was told to get bent. I was nothing but nice and even made a point to say I understand they deal with a lot of hassles and I appreciate any help. I still got screwed. It has everything to do with the luck of who you get helping you.

10. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Yeah I've never quite understood those people who complain when they've been offered a replacement, if I get offered one tomorrow It'll be viewed as a result. Sorry to hear about your troubles, could try emailing them, at least raise a complaint about the guy you had to deal with.

11. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Cool, glad to hear a positive story.

Don't worry I work in tech support myself and double up as a trainer, I know how to use the right communication methods

12. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I have spent as much time on it as I am willing to...already been hours on the phone and the expense of those calls out of country to Apple EU.Screw em I am done with this company. Much less stressful to bitch here don't you think :D I will spend half as much on gear that is equally as unreliable next time and have learned an expensive lesson. I wish you the best and hope you get a replacement that works. I know some people never have problems and are happy as clams...I was a week ago.

13. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Fair enough, can certainly understand where you are coming from, too much time on the phone and getting no where can make you feel like you've had enough. Hope you have better luck with your next machine.

14. smknSRT8 macrumors newbie

I hope this goes well for you. It has been said before, to reiterate, no one likes dealing with an jerk, be kind and hopefully they take care of you.

15. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Call AppleCare, ask to speak to someone at the Tier 2 Level.

Be calm, cool, and reasonable. Just explain the circumstances.
    In my experience, they will do what they can to make the situation right.

16. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

You know for some reason there are people who can always go "mean" and get people jumping. I have always been very cool as a customer and often get the "attitude" guy in whatever shop I am in who makes the most easy going person mad. I have tried being cool...tried being threatening and demanding...doesn't matter..I seem to have **** luck more often than not and get the people who just don't give two craps. I know a guy who damn near gets everything free as when people mess something up (and they do more often than not) he is somehow intimidating enough that he walks out with upgrades and apologies...oh well...life.

17. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Things are looking promising :D

So got a call back from Apple. The service centre has confirmed everything I've said about the repairs to be the case. Have been told that I have to now take it into them so they can confirm that the new faults I've reported are there and email the customer service rep I've been talking to.

I asked if a replacement was looking likely and on the cards and she said yes but first I have to get the faults confirmed. Looking hopeful that I'm going to get a positive resolution from this mess.