For people who use textfree

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewL11, Jun 20, 2009.

1. AndrewL11 macrumors member

I just downloaded Textfree Lite and gave it a shot i texted my girlfriend next to me and she received it right away. But when she texted me it took 20 mins to get it. Is this normal? we tried it 3 or 4 times with the same result. Also texted a friend. If I buy the full version will it be faster???!?

thanks

2. AndrewL11 thread starter macrumors member

3. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

thank you - a good information, that everybody seems to be ignoring. IF iphone doesn't have a good push notification, it wont be a good communicator.

is better to wait to see how iphone deals with real time messaging through apps before buy! otherwise, you'll be screwed!

4. AndrewL11 thread starter macrumors member

.....? because they might be charging me for those texts? Kind of lost you on that reply, sorry

5. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Wow, on Thursday night I downloaded Textfree Lite. I tested that out with push notifications and it worked flawlessly. I was on the phone with my girlfriend and I texted her using the program and she got it instantly and when she sent me a msg it was also only about a 2 second delay. The next morning I tried it again and it worked but now i was up to my daily limit. I thought it was great. I purchased the full version. It worked for about 3 hours. Then after that, messages took over 2 or 3 hours to receive messages from the other party. This morning, Saturday, it is working intermittently. I think push notifications is a hit or miss thing. I hope apple gets this to work flawlessly. Or maybe this is a problem with Textfree. Hopefully this gets updated.

6. AndrewL11 thread starter macrumors member

lol I just updated to the regular one thinking it would help and it's even slower, eish:eek:

7. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Yup I think that the make the free one quick so then people would buy the real one thinking it was even better, but surprise! It's even worse.

8. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Why not just use AIM and push

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Is push only included on the paid version of AIM? I've got the free one and no option for push notifications...

And to answer your question, not everybody has an AIM account.

10. AndrewL11 thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully they come out with an update soon to fix this.

11. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I downloaded it last night to test it out (and I'm running low on my texts for this month) and it worked good at first and then no texts from my friend. I woke up this morning with a badge of 4 new texts :confused: No push notifications though (even though they're on) so I thought that was strange. AP pushed perfectly overnight. Oh well, back to Messages.app

12. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

AIM doesn't have push yet. Onlly the beta version for developers.

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I've heard a few people have been having these problems with TextFree. My guess - the servers that the app is running off of are getting bogged down because a lot of people are probably downloading/using the application (more than they expected, I bet). You should contact their support line and see what's up.

14. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

I emailed them and they just sent me a reply to a FAQ page. Didn't answer my question. Kept trying to tell them that this didn't answer my question but they just send the same list of answers.

15. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I have been using textfree light for the last few days and it has been working pretty darnwell, it did once take it about 20 mins to push, otherwise it's faster than 2 seconds.

I ended up buying text free pro and he it works.

16. cardboardcowboy macrumors newbie

I keep getting the same email too. I'm having a problem with my unique address. I registered an acceptable version of my name on the lite version and when it came time to buy the unlimited version last night, it prompted me to enter a new unique address. I tried entering my previous address and it said it was already taken, so I made a new one that's not quite as desirable the first one. Somehow I ended up shuffling around the lite and unlimited versions through many deletes and reinstalls and got my desired address on the unlimited version and I was finally happy. Sadly, when I synced up this morning something must have gone awry because my TextFree Unlimited icon was missing from my phone! I reinstalled it and it asks me again to put in a new unique address...again I tried one of my old ones and now both are taken! I've uninstalled and reinstalled both versions about 10 times each and sometimes when I uninstall it "deletes" the unique address I created for that version, sometimes it doesn't. Anyone else had this problem?

17. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

I did the same thing but my username got transfered automatically. Sorry I can't help you out there. But this is what I did: Downloaded the lite version, and used that until the daily limit hit, then I bought the full version. Installed it and then deleted the lite version off. This seems to work.