For people with disappearing Pre-Order Charges:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doverlock, Jun 18, 2010.

1. doverlock macrumors regular

doverlock

I'm not sure if this is already addressed, so I apologize in advanced if this is redundant.

I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 at the local AT&T store on the 15th (around 1:30 CST), I used my Visa Check Card as a credit and everything went through. Once I got home, I checked my online bank statement and the difference between the available balance and the balance was the amount that I just paid. I assume that was the hold, or pre-authorization, for my phone.

Well, this morning I checked my bank account again (I rarely use this card, so it should be the same) and it seemed that AT&T dropped the charges, the balances were the same with no "AT&T - iPhone" charge showing up.

I called and talked to someone from a branch of the bank I use and he said that debit cards (whether used in debit or credit) are only allowed the hold a charge for 24 hours until it stops showing it. He said that he could see the hold through his system, but because the 24-hour period was up, it would no longer show it for me when I looked it up.

Now, I don't know if this a universal rule for most banks, or if it is just mine, so take this for what it's worth to you, but it may help ease some people wondering why the charges have gone missing.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Yep, happened to me and a lot of other people.
    There was a thread on it earlier today.

Nice for re-assurance, though. :)

3. doverlock thread starter macrumors regular

doverlock

Yeah, I had a feeling someone got to it before I did :eek: . My mistake! Haha