For people wondering about the differences between the keyboards of the MacBook (12) and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevinkyoo, Nov 2, 2016.

1. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I don't think I've ever had a non-broken mac keyboard not register a keypress that wasn't sufficiently on-center; the old scissor switches were quite good at keeping the whole key flat even if pressure wasn't centered.

That said, while I'm no fan of the old keyboard, I'm not particularly optimistic about the new keyboard.

I'll put "thinkpad keyboards" as another of the things I'd happily pay more for on a hypothetical idealized Mac. They were just SO much nicer than anything else.

2. 5iMacs macrumors regular

Yup, loved it on the T60 and the T43p before it. Part of that was the touchpoint too, though.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Looking back at my old IMB keyboard. That travel is like the height of an elevator shaft!

4. evec macrumors regular

The MB12 keyboard have many versions, Apple already improve the butterfly keyboard time by time.
    The early MB12 (first launch) have really bad key, and this year have much better butterfly with a little more travel height.
    Apple don't promote it because they don't want to exchange new keyboard for everybody when they want.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The new one. The old one was just "wireless keyboard". The new one is the "magic keyboard" :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I haven't tried it yet, but word on the street seems to indicate that there's no difference between version 1 and 2 of the butterfly keyboard. If you hate it on the MacBook, you'll hate it on the new MBP.

I'm in the hate camp of people for this keyboard and Apple really didn't need to throw that keyboard in, but they did, because its their new baby so they'll putting it in all computers now.

7. jerryk macrumors 601

Since I use mechanical keyboards most of the time, I can barely handle the rMBP keyboard. I tried the latest 12" rMB a few weeks ago and quit after 15 minutes of typing. The travel is too short and the keys too flat.

Sad to see this keyboard on the new MBPs.

8. Hyloba macrumors 6502

How I would have liked a keyboard on the MBP like the magic keyboard. That is a joy to type on.

9. inhalexhale1 macrumors 65816

Wow, less key travel than they magic keyboard. Terrible.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't mind it one single bit. In order of preference for me: New MacBook Pro > Magic Keyboard > rMB > Classic Pro.

I may have not said that a year ago, but I really adjusted to the rMB keyboard and prefer it to the old pros.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    unfortunately, if you are use to and love mechanical keyboards you will probably not like the new keyboards. They have a way way different feel from mechanical. Granted everything feels different than mechanical.

11. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

I am amazed about this and other threads which go on and on about the keyboards of portable computers.

If you hadn't noticed the industry continues to struggle with finding a great thin and light keyboard that does the job.just look at what Microsoft has done in its multiple versions of Surface. They went from a simple rubbery touch pad to a little bit more real keyboard. People needed some sort of tacticle return, both sound and feel, as they push the keys. Even iOS adds sound and now as the Force Touch screens become more common there will be some feel feed back from them as we type our endless twitters and messages into cyberspace.

In andother thread I made a joke about using an IBM Selectriict Typewriter back in the day and how the keyboard felt and sounded with the little ball twerling about as we typed. Well I am so happy tose have gone to the great paperback writer in the sky.

The thinner keys on the MB and now MBP are a great thing and far better than the ones which comes with the MS Surface Pro or other competing high-end portables. And I believe after a year or two most will not only adapt, but when they switch back to an older MB model they will be shocked about how the old keyboard just isn't as easy to type on, noisy and feels just a bit weird.

If you don't think this will happen just consider the touch pad. After switching to the 12" MB touch pad I used my wife's 2010 MBP and was amazed how much better the new one is. Even worse is atemping to use a two year old (old newer) Windows touch pad with those buttons for right and left, really difficult.

I'm all for where Apple is taking the MBP, more compact, and keep the power at the same time.

Moving on

12. ConnorMcJeebus macrumors regular

ConnorMcJeebus

Sorry I just had to point out the irony.

13. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Did I write "proceeds?"

I looked back and didn't see that in my post.

Oh well. It is about proceeds.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I tried this keyboard out at the store and its by far the best keyboard Ive ever used. Its even better than my 12" MacBook.

15. sgript macrumors member

sgript

The key travel itself is not different, tried it today at an Apple store (also side by side - MB vs MBP), it's just less mushier and feels a bit clickier on the MBP, a minor but welcome improvement over the standard Macbook.

I do like the feeling of it though, my old MBP's keys feel a bit wobbly in comparison.

16. ConnorMcJeebus macrumors regular

ConnorMcJeebus

17. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

When you're talking millimetres then the tech-placebo effect is strong. When you've spent the money the effect is even stronger. That's something very common place in the Mac community that I always detested. Even hockey puck mouse had supporters.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    The Magic Keyboard is on point. How do you go from there to this butterfly crap if you have the best tech designers in the world?

18. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I tried the two side by side today in store , the new KB felt slightly better , but disappointed.

I own the 2012 rMBP and 12" MacBook , while I don't mind the KB in an ultra portable that I occasionally use , it's a bad KB for daily use.

This thinnes crap is really taking away user experience .... enough is enough...

19. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Compared the MB and MBP keyboards in Best Buy. The keys on the MBP look to be a tad raised vs the ones on the MB and reacted different to a press than those on the MB (a machine I own and use almost daily). The keys could very well could be the same depth but it definitely looked and felt different to this one person. YMMV.

20. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Oh I get it you modified my quote. Never seen anyone do that before.

o_O