For phone calls and texting, is the iPhone 5S better than the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jan 6, 2014.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

90% of what I use an iPhone for is texting/phone. Would an upgrade from an iPhone 5 to a 5S be worth it?

Does the 5S pick up signal strength better than the 5 (on AT&T, in the San Diego area, if that is helpful info.)?

Thanks for your time.

2. 617aircav Suspended

they are the same

3. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Ok. I was thinking possibly the antenna was different/improved (kind of like the difference between the 4 and the 4S.

Just trying to come up with a (valid!) reason to upgrade but so far- for my needs can't justify it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then hang on to what you have. Just because there is a new iPhone out doesn't mean you have to buy it.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

There could be the possibility the electronics improved the call quality since the release of the 5.

6. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Sage advice. I am sure you are right. Thanks.
    I love new electronics though and sometimes emotion beats out logic.
    :)

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Seems the same to me. I have the 5s. My wife has the 5. I don't see any difference for calls, texting and signal strength.

8. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

if talk/text is all you do then yeah as awesome as it would be to upgrade, its not worth the $200-$400 extra just to unlock your phone faster (touch ID)

the 5S is a better upgrade for iPhone 4/4S users.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd say you ought to keep your 5. There weren't any MAJOR improvements in the radio or antenna of the 5s that I know of.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, there are, but just ones that might be useful to many. For example, LTE has been improved as far as what bands are supported by various phone models.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

These days of texting and Internet Comm (people still use phones to talk? :D) I wonder if anybody is still doing voice quality testing of the various handsets.

In the ole days, the grapevine said MOTOROLA KNOWS RADIO. I still wonder about that.