For privacy reason, what to do before sending the computer for repairing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Mar 26, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. For privacy reason, before sending in the computer for repairing, is it better to reinstall Mac OS? Before doing that, is cloning the drive using SuperDuper good enough to restore the computer to its state (before sending to Apple) after the repairing? Some accounts have the password saved by the OS. I guess if I reinstall Mac OS, those info will be erased. If I do not reinstall the OS, what can I do to have all those auto saved passwords removed? What other things should be done before sending in the computer for repairing Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's not just privacy, Apple likes to wipe drives and you sign off on this often. On my MP I take out all drives and toss in the stock drive that has the stock OS. It is also how I test for issues by having a clean install of an OS on a drive that I don't ever use. If this is not the option I would clone the drive, also do a TM backup and then reinstall the OS so they have something clean to work with.

I'd like to think they don't want to dig into the drive for junk but all it takes is one pissed off kid behind the counter to ruin you.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's always good to backup your drive before sending it in, but you don't have to do anything for privacy. They're not interested in the data you have on your computer, and they don't have the time or inclination to "snoop". Your data is far more interesting to you than it is to anyone else.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've only needed to send my laptop in a couple of times with apple. When I did, I wiped the drive (after backing up of course) and created a guest account they could log into.

Once back in my possession, I restored the backup. My data is safe, and I'm sure I did not have to deal with prying eyes.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It really depends on what the repair is. Apple Approved techs are trained to retain your data if at all possible.

However, to be on the safe side, clone your HDD with something like SuperDuper. I've had Macs checked out by Apple and they have never deleted any data. What's more, don't be paranoid about them going through your data - they have much more important things to do!

If you still can't trust yourself to trust them, as they will need a password to run your machine, set up a "dummy" account and give them this password.

6. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

If some one wants your data bad enought they will get it...

I doubt there's anything on there that's you would have to worry about but as said above swap drive or do a back up and complete wipe

7. mike693 macrumors member

Make a fresh backup to an external drive.

Create an encrypted disk image large enough for your sensitive files using Disk Utility.

Copy your sensitive documents into the encrypted disk image.

Delete the unencrypted copies using "Secure Empty Trash" in the Finder.

The user account passwords are encrypted by the OS and you should not have to worry about that.

As recommended by another, setup a "dummy" account for the technicians to use while your computer is being serviced.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Few years ago when I sent my laptop for repairing, they asked my password.

----------

I have reported to Apple about the malpractice of the Genius in that Apple Store. Apple suggested me to complain to the manager and if it does not go anywhere, report to Apple Care and customer relation again. So, the Genius may be pis*ed off and do something bad to me once they have my laptop.