For some reason when i open dictionary it opens multiple windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DAAAAAAAVE, Sep 7, 2009.

1. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Each time i search for a definition in spotlight and open dictionary, it opens a large number of windows, more and more each time. I am running Snow Leopard. Any ideas.

2. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

3. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

OK it is getting to the point where it half fills my screen any time i open it. ANYONE?!?!

4. joel6653 macrumors newbie

same issue, but no solution

I have the same issue, and YES, it is VERY annoying.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you leave a definition open when you close dictionary, it will appear when you launch it again. So, you'll want to clear the dictionary when you quit.

6. devburke Guest

Starting with Snow Leopard, Dictionary can have multiple windows open. Also, it now remembers the last window you had open. So when you tell it to look up a word from somewhere else, it launches the app (which reopens all the windows you had open last time you quit) and opens a new one for your definition. I don’t know how you missed this solution, but just close the windows and you’ll be fine. If you quit with them all still open, they’ll all still be open next time you launch Dictionary.

7. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Ah thankyou. It is just every other application when you quit, it quits. You would think apple would realise that when you press command + q you want something shut. Just reduced the quick functionality of dictionary

8. devburke Guest

Well it quits when you close the last window, so in this case, cmd-w will be just as quick as cmd-q would have been, and will also tell it not to remember your window. Provided you only have one window open.

On the other hand, this might interest you.

9. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Thanks heaps mate. I just did that terminal thing and it is all good. I agree with the guy writing that. It as a massive step back. Oh well. Thanks again for the fix

10. oldlizard macrumors newbie

If you'd prefer Dictionary not open a new window every time you look up a word using Services, quit Dictionary if it's running, open Terminal, and enter this command:

defaults write com.apple.Dictionary ProhibitNewWindowForRequest -bool TRUE

From now on, words looked up via Services will open in the same Dictionary window. Reverse this behavior by changing TRUE to FALSE in the above, or if you're a purist, with defaults delete com.apple.Dictionary ProhibitNewWindowForRequest.

Oops! devburke already talk about this.