For swift programmer and graphics designer -iMac Pro 27" + Macbook 12" vs iPad Pro + Macbook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KensaiMage, Jun 13, 2017.

1. KensaiMage, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

KensaiMage macrumors member

KensaiMage

My friend is a freelancer - a coder and a web graphics designer, he also loves all Blizzard games and wants to play the newest titles in macOS (no bootcamp or VM) flawlessly for next 6 years.

Imo Macbook 12" + iMac Pro 27" would be the best choice but VERY OVERPRICED.

However, xenon processors are not good for gaming so maybe Macbook Pro 15" would be better? You can connect eGPU to any of these.

He is learning how to draw to supplement his graphics design skills so an iPad Pro would be good also.

He asked me for an advice as he speaks no English.

Which route should he go?

He is quite mobile but he also works at home.

2. 960design macrumors 68020

I have and use the following for web application development:
    1. MBPr15 ( 2016 )
    2. iMac27 ( late 2015 )
    3. iPP9.7 ( also just added iPP10.5, arrived today )
    4. MacMini Servers ( x2 ) + 40"HD monitor
    5. ZenBook15" touch screen - Windows10
    6. iPhone 7
    7. Nexus10
    8. Kindle Fire 7
    Swift development was slowed after the change from v1 to v2; aren't we up to v4 now? I pretty much package everything up in a WKWebView.

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

There is no excuse to have a 12" notebook, especially for programming, or graphics, IMO...

4. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors member

KensaiMage

Whad would you advice? Elanorate please.

I guess that macbook 12 is good for mobile programming/hacking stuff :p

5. 960design macrumors 68020

The new MBPr15 ( 2016 or 2017 ) is relatively small, light and powerful. Load up Kali and you are off to a good start.

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

If price is a factor you probably don't want to require an external GPU.

If he's that big into gaming I'm not quite sure why he wants to play on a Mac as PCs are way more cost efficient there. I'd probably lean towards the iMac as my MBP gets really hot when running CPU/GPU intensive tasks for a while, could always pick up a low end 13" MBP for coding on the road.

7. fierarul macrumors member

Your friend would better prepare to buy at least some other machine in these 6 years.

Trying to future-proof from the start will only mean he must spend the maximum amount of money Apple is able to charge.

If he really needs the Pencil and wants to draw an iPad Pro would make sense. Note there's also a 10.5 inch iPad Pro for practice. I find the large iPad Pro too big.

For coding and graphics design any high end 27" iMac would do. I really doubt he specifically needs the iMac Pro. For the price of the iMac Pro he will buy another high end 27" iMac 3 years from now.