For the Band-Obsessed: How Do You Maintain Your Collection?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by James.K.Polk, Apr 29, 2018.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

I don't have tons of Apple Watch bands (my fiancee and I recently merged our collection), but those I have, I like to wear for a few weeks/months and rotate out... part of it is the seasonal colors, and part of it is just interest in new bands. If I buy a sport band for $50, wear it for 2 months, and resell for $30, I think I got $20 of value from it.

The more complicated items are big-ticket items like the Stainless Steel Link Bracelet. I have one I never wear, but don't know what to do with it - does Apple accept trade-ins? Is there a site that allows ready sale (ala BuyBackWorld or CashForYourMac)? I've listed it on Craigslist and here on the Marketplace, but (at least locally) I get mostly scammers or people saying "I can get a knockoff for $40, so I offer you $50."

Anyone else rotate through bands? What's the best way to do so?

2. Medic macrumors member

Medic

I change bands on a daily basis to match my mood, style and activities. I have been growing my collection as like this diversity!

Given the existing format is unlikely to change for the next few generations, and my tastes will change over time, I find it best to keep the bands...

As for resell channels, eBay seems the best but you seldom get value as a seller there. Definitely a Buyers market for 2nd hand Apple produced bracelets!

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have approximately 20 to 25 bands that I rotate, sometimes I try to pair them based on what I’m wearing so it does not clash.

As for resell, they have horrible market value to anybody that wants one on the used market. I just keep my bands and I don’t intend on selling them, as I plan on using them for the next generation Apple Watch when I upgrade.

I don’t believe Apple accepts trade-ins for a used Apple Watch band, as for your link bracelet; your best option is to sell locally or through eBay. Use caution with eBay, as you may be able to sell your link band, but then you might have the buyer turn around and claim it’s a _fake_ and then they will file a claim against you. Your best option is to sell your link band in person for cash, you will never achieve what you want for a price point, but that would likely be your best option.

Also, I own the regular stainless link band and black stainless Link band and they are excellent and terms of quality and ingenuity with the removable links.

4. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

I've pretty much settled on my leather loop as my daily band (most comfortable).
    I put on either a silicone band or the velcro sport loop when working out.
    I wear either one of the milanese loops when I have to be a little more business-casual at work. Biggest thing I go by is comfort and color coordination. I keep all bands in a bin. I clean all of them with alcohol once in a while so they don't get gunky. I've been told the sport loop (velcro not silicone) can be machine washed but I don't think I would ever do that.

5. GRT89521 macrumors member

GRT89521

I have a different band on almost everyday. The majority of the time I go with a simple silicon but have a few leather and woven nylon bands I mix in. I have both a Series 2 Edition and Series 3 Spay Grey aluminum so some bands go better with the specific watch. 90% of my bands are aftermarket eBay buys (the silicon isn't as nice but the Apple bands aren't worth the extra cost).

Attached Files:

6. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

I’ve had a number of bands, some from Apple, some with cases with built in bands.
    Finally, Survival Straps came out with a band for the AppleWatch.
    Absolutely love it. You can pick from a myriad of colors to create the look you want and it comes with the metal things that hold the band to the watch.

https://www.survivalstraps.com/collections/apple-watch-straps

7. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

I bought various bands a few years ago when I bought my Series 0, but now I usually just wear my original link bracelet, unless I switch to a sports band for some sports. I keep sports bands in various places, like my car, golf bag, etc., just in case I need something a little more flexible.

8. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

9. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502

Jason Hensley

I have 25 bands that I keep organized in band holder trays. I roatate them based on season, occasion, and overall "what am I in the mood for" feeling.

10. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502

staggerlee41

I'm pretty much the same, I rotate them based on whatever I feel like wearing depending on where I'm going and what my activity is. Sport bands get the most of time on my wrist, they're comfortable, durable and I like them. Leather or Milanese for more of a dressy look.

The collection is growing, some I haven't worn, some I have. I'll keep them until they won't work with whatever version of Watch I have. Hopefully the forthcoming new models continue to support the old bands, just as the Series 4 has.

11. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Craigslist is full of cheapskates and flakes. You can reduce that a lot by simply posting your lowest acceptable price right up front and saying price is firm, no trades. But it's still going to be a tough sell.

I think your best chance is the MarketPlace here. I'd take the extra step of linking to it in your signature so that people in the AW forum who never look at the MP forum are aware of it.

Have you tried NextDoor. The audience is smaller but the quality of people is higher.

An "outside of the box" strategy would be to consider trading it for something of equal value, but that is more easily resalable for cash, like an iPad or Mac Mini or whatnot. People might balk at spending hundreds for a band, but they might be more amenable to trading, for example, a used Mac Mini they don't use any more. And then you can turn around and drop that, or an iPad, iPhone, etc., at any of the trade in places you like or more easily sell it yourself.

I know there are horror stories on Ebay, and they currently favor buyers, but I've been a member since 1998 and in hundreds of transactions as both buyer and seller, I've never been scammed. I've had trouble a couple of times, but I've never been outright scammed. So you can consider that too, but you'll have to compete with very convincing fakes being sold as genuine for a far lower price.

12. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I owned SS watches from the previous generations. Now I have a gold SS and I just cannot look at the silver pin when my watch is gold. I am sticking with the stone band with gold pin that came with the watch even though it looks boring. My wishful thinking is that Apple will release another band with a gold pin, but we all know the chance is slim considering they never release a band with ceramic pin or with a black pin (just one black sport band with a black pin).