For the cyclists in here, bike computer advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hallux, May 26, 2013.

1. hallux macrumors 68030

Apr 25, 2012
    I'm moving from a mountain bike to a road bike. I currently have a GT Tequesta bought around 1995 and I'm looking at a Trek 1.1, my goal is primarily fitness and weight loss.

I'm looking at a new bike computer. I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 for GPS tracking but want a computer for real-time monitoring. I have my eye on the Cateye Strada wireless series, debating between the single and double (double adds cadence which I don't need but might want the chainstay-mount if I pick up an indoor trainer for the winter).

Are there other computers I should consider?
  2. Xplicit iPhone macrumors newbie

May 28, 2013
    While I will not be answering your question, I would like to ask why did you sell your mtb?
  3. hallux thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 25, 2012
    I haven't, yet, and may not. I just felt like I'd be able to ride further on a road-oriented bike. On top of that, the bike was 15 years old and was bought while I was still a teenager so I felt a bike sized better for my current self would also help with that.

Bought the new bike yesterday, a Trek 1.1, but only really had time for a short jaunt yesterday due to weather coming in.
  4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    if you use an iphone, there are a plethora of nice bike tracking apps

Just get a case and a bike mounted holder
  5. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    I've tried the iPhone in a bike holder thing. Wasn't for me. Too much drain on the battery and too much glare from the holder. I now use a Garmin Edge 500. Gives me speed/cadence as well as heart-rate monitor. I've thought about going to the Edge 510 (with live tracking, i.e. others can track you as you ride on the web) but it's not the best-reviewed. Any questions? Shoot!
  6. Xavier macrumors 68020

Mar 23, 2006
    Garmin Edge 500 with cadence/speed sensor.

Decent amount of money but worth it in the end.
  7. ben123456 macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2012
    I just got the Joule by CycleOps and love it. It also comes with a year MVP membership on map and app. Haven't had a whole lot of time with it but so far so good
  8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Brand new cyclist, so take it for what it is worth, but with my new road bike, I purchased Sigma's BC 1609 computer. I knew I wanted something with cadence, because, as a new rider, I would otherwise have really no idea how fast or slow I was spinning, and this model had great reviews on Amazon (not that Amazon is the be-all/end-all of reviews, but in general they get it right) for less than $30.

I'll be happy with this for a long time...until I'm so into biking that I need something with GPS capability.

In addition to this small computer, I also have Strava running on my phone in either my saddle bag or my jersey pocket.
  9. elistan macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2007
    Denver/Boulder, CO
    I have a CatEye Mity 8. I don't think they make it anymore, but it's a basic wired computer with 8 functions. No cadence, no GPS, no calorie count, heart rate, etc. All I need it for is current and average speed, and odometer. I just ride for fitness, I don't care what cadence I'm at I just pedal what seems comfortable, and I can feel my heartbeat just fine on my own. I like going fast and I like pushing myself so the speeds are important. And it's good to know how many miles are on the bike.

Looks like their Velo 7 is their current, equivalent product.

Then to record my rides, I use an app called Strava on my iPhone. I just launch it, hit start, then lock the phone and put it in my jersey pocket. It uses the GPS. When I get back I can check out my route, my speed, elevation changes, elapsed time... And I can shame myself by seeing how long its been since my last ride!
  10. hallux thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks. I was leaning toward a Cateye Strada Wireless, will have to look at the ones mentioned here.

As noted, I have a ForeRunner 110 GPS watch for recording the track for upload to Runkeeper. I have an Android phone and have found (after only a couple workouts with the watch) that the phone really wasn't that great as far as accuracy. I'm not looking for "iPhone would be SOO much better" posts, the phone I have is GREAT for navigation, just not for tracking walking/biking.

I agree with the glare concerns having the phone on the handlebars, can't use the thing for EVERYTHING. In fact, I have a handlebar mount for my phone on my MTB.