For the early 2.0 adopters; DO NOT DOWNGRADE TO 1.1.4!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr.stinki, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I tried downgrading to 1.1.4 for some weird reason. Now, my iPhone is in a constant reboot. When I try to restore, I get error (20) half way through, and I continue rebooting.

The only possible way i could find to solving this was to reinstall 2.0 (i found this in the Apple Support Forums)

So take this warning, and DON'T do it!!

I will be waiting 'till tomorrow to try the restore with the OFFICIAL 2.0 software. It's not like i can do much now anyway. I'm stuck at my aunts house for the night, with no internet.

2. axisofphilippe macrumors member

axisofphilippe

3. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

4. mr.stinki thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I restored to 1.1.4 because i thought that i'd rather wait for the official release of 2.0. I just couldn't wait to use 2.0...

I can't do a restore with my macbook, since i don't get wifi, but the PC that they have is connected to a modem (sadly i can't just unplug the ethernet chord and plug it into my macbook) But that thing is sooo slow. Seriously, it took it 10 minutes to open up the recycle bin...

ugh... -slaps himself-

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Error 20 means you're using the wrong version of iTunes IIRC.

Go back to the previous version and try installing 1.14 from there.

Phazer

6. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

7. kevo0822 macrumors regular

Wow... thanks for the warning!! The unofficial 2.0 firmware has been iffy for me from the start and I've been trying to find a way to downgrade.

I'm definitely not the kind of person who just jumps at unreleased/unidentified software, but 2.0 was just too tempting. Eh, I guess it's a lesson well-learned though. Hopefully this downgrade procedure works!

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There's no such thing as "unofficial" 2.0 software. It was released by Apple yesterday.

They just haven't got around to updating iTunes yet. When they do, all that will be different is that instead of holding Alt and pressing restore and finding the file, it will download through the application instead.

It will be the same software that is installed on your iPhone.

9. alFR macrumors 68020

I don't think you can guarantee that the build people are downloading now will be the same build as is released through iTunes later. It probably will be though.