For the experts!: Jailbreaking 2.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TBryant82, Dec 11, 2008.

1. TBryant82 macrumors newbie

I'm tempting to jailbreak my iphone and i'm reading diff things about it thats good and bad. I found this site that gives a pretty reasonable easy way to do it but dont know if I should go through with it or not. Plz take a look at the instructions below and tell me what my chances are of it being successful lol!.

http://www.installerapps.com/jailbreak/

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

first you should ask yourself, why do I want to jailbreak; what will I gain from it? From what you write I am getting the impression that you just want to jailbreak for the sake of jailbreaking?

3. nozebleed macrumors 6502

First, I would definitely jb your phone, there are so many more apps available that are not and never will be allowed on the app store( cycorder- video recording app, winterboard- customization of basically everything, ssh tools, etc) you are missing out on the power of this phone without it IMHO. And before I dl'd anything from anywhere else, I would get it from the horses mouth as they say.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

4. TBryant82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I'm def. not jumping the gun on this. I do want to know what the benifit of this would be. I know you have the option for 3rd party apps and themes and I'm taking it that's all it's good for if you want to jailbreak it. Correct? Can anyone verify the site i posted is legit (even has a vid of the guy doing it).

5. nozebleed macrumors 6502

Jumping the gun? Dude you are making it out like you are about to split atoms or something. If you dont like it, or find that it isnt what you planned on just restore it again. poof, gone

6. TBryant82 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, I understand but I just wanna ask questions first. Maybe you can help me on this. I went to "www.hidepod.com" and saw a pretty cool app but how do I download it? So I see that I need "Installer" on my phone to do it right?

7. nozebleed macrumors 6502

Ive never seen it, but its most likely on cydia. Installer is pretty much dead. Give me a sec to launch cydia and search for it

8. TBryant82 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. nozebleed macrumors 6502

didnt see it on either cydia or installer, but im sure there is an equivalent app somewhere. A good forum also to learn more about jailbreaking is www.ipodtouchfans.com, if you can weed through the 14 year olds that act like they "run it". Jailbreaking just gives way more options, for example me and my girl both have the japanese "emoji", otherwise unavailable to anyone outside of japan. now she cant text without it, ive yet to determine if this is good or bad lol. as far as downloading quickpwn, or the pwnage tool, I would recommend not getting it anywhere else but the devteam's own site which i gave you a few posts ago. ^^^^

10. Haxxxess macrumors newbie

Hi,

First of all, jailbreaking your iphone will give you many more advantages than just installing 3rd party apps.

For a detailed list, go to:
    http://thebigboss.org/why-jailbreak-iphone/

Second,

The app that you are looking for, HidePod, is not available yet for Firmware 2.x

But you can still get the a similar functionality, by installing SBSettings and QuickGold...

With SBSettings u can hide the icons from Springboard. QuickGold, an App launcher, lets you search through all your Apps(via text input), even those that are not shown, but are installed , with just the press of the Home Button while on the SpringBoard screen.

So I say yes, go for the jailbreak

11. yeoldgreat1 macrumors newbie

If it says you need Unstaller rather than Cydia then it's probably referring to the installer program that was on the v1.1-v1.5 jailbreak. If you've updated your firmware to the latest 2.x then you wont be able to use the program you wanted unless it appears on the cydia list.

12. kasakka macrumors 65816

When jailbreaking, does all my data get removed? Meaning programs I have installed already etc? I'm only bothered by this because I bought GuitarToolkit from the App Store when I was still running OSX and now can't seem to get it into the Windows iTunes anymore so it only resides on the phone. Would rather not buy it again.

What happens when there's an update? Obviously to jailbreak you have to wait for a tool for that version but if I update, will it simply just disable or remove the 3rd party software and work as usual?

13. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Paid apps are linked to your itunes account. DL as many times as you need to without being charged again.

Edit:
    On the updates, you first restore your phone, then update.